Forte II on stands

cincymat

This is a shout out to Moray James for recommending across multiple forums the benefits of placing Forte II's on taller than stock stands. After removing the stock risers I placed mine on 14 inch stands. The improvement is just amazing. The mid-range and stereo imaging are significantly better than before. I guess getting the mids to ear level is what makes the difference.

Thanks Moray!

Mark

Thank you for your post Mark. The Four post Skylan Stands my Forte ll are on (err my son's Forte ll) also are fitted with spikes so are a little taller. The right height will vary depending upon your seating and how tall you are. The idea as you know is to centre the mid horn on your ear when seated. glad you are enjoying the results. Best regards Moray James.

PS: there are more tricks in the modification bag when you are ready.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Moray,

I've upgraded the Xovers (Crites), and the tweeters and mid diaphragms to Titanium(with the band pass filter). I've also put a small gel spacer between the mid and the back of the speaker. When the weather warms up so I can work in my garage I'll do the cabinet stiffening mod.

What other mods might you recommend?

Mark

well you can make sure your cabinets are air tight all the gaskets are in place and works (are not dead flat) the grill magnet holes don't leak air. You can see if you like your Forte ll with some additional weight on the passive radiators to re tune them lower in frequency. A couple of large steel flat washers each weighing 2.5 ounces works very well don't use more. Uou can treat your woofer and passive basket baskets with Dynamat and F-11 Acoustical Felt. You can add a layer of Dynamat to the back side of the tweeter horn the mid horn is very solid I don't bother with that it is so thick. You can modify the inside of both your tweeter and mid compression drivers with Dynamat and F-11 Acoustical felt. More if you like but this ought to keep you occupied for a little while.