Woofer mounting - bolt size

Marvel

This pertains mostly to the 15 inchers... What size machine screw/bolt and T-nuts is the best to use. I am reworking the old LaScala cabinets I picked up a few years ago (one a clone and one genuine). The clone had a woofer mounted with screws :unsure2: but I want to put T-nuts in. I also thought a finer thread would be correct as they wouldn't be as prone to work loose.

Bruce

Usually its not the size, its the prongs, 4 vs 6, which is important when dealing with MDF, and of course, you want the 6-prong.  1/4 " should be big enough, but you'll want to measure and make sure 1/4" will fit through the mounting holes in the woofer.  You can read the reviews from the following links:

http://www.parts-express.com/1-4-20-deluxe-6-prong-t-nuts-50-pcs--081-1090

http://www.parts-express.com/10-32-deluxe-6-prong-t-nuts-50-pcs--081-1088

I have heard either great things or horror stories about T-nuts.  Either they work great, or they chew through the MDF, don't line up properly and rotate.  Most of the success stories are associated with putting some glue on the anchor so it doesn't rotate.

Edited by wvu80

No, it's the bolt size I'm after. Thanks, Jay, I was thinking the 10-32 would be good. Not too large and a pitch that can be smoothly tightened down.

Then I get the T-nuts to match. I need to get these together. My JBLs need work, so the Heresy IIs are the best speakers in the house at the moment.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel