sub phase with La Scala

Matthews

Am I correct, proper phase means all woofers firing in the same direction? 

I have 2, 12" subs, one sitting at each end of the couch, facing the mains (Scala).  They are phased at 180 degrees.  The subs sound fantastic and blend seamlessly.  If not for the fact that they ARE there, you would not know it.  Sonically, they seem invisible.

Now, and this is what I am scratching my head about.  The woofers in the Scala's face the backs of the speakers. If a sub were to be placed at the front, with the mains, what would proper phase be?  Scratch scratch scratch... 

I am confusing myself thinking about this!!!  What makes sense, all of a sudden DOES NOT.  Then it does again...  Air flow, no, wait YES!  ...wait  The direction of the woofer, no, the mouth of the speaker   !ARRGGGHHHH!

This is driving me crazy thinking about it!!!  Please help  :emotion-55:

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matthews

The same direction meaning in or out. It is a push pull design. In phase the sub is pushing the speaker out with the rest of your speakers. If out of phase with the other speakers then the sub would pull back the speaker when all other speakers woofers are pushing forward. Same as if you had two woofers in one enclosure and you hooked one in phase and one out of phase, when one fired forward the other would pull back and you would not have much bass. Hope that helps and I explained it correctly. If not someone here will correct it! :)

Edited by gfong
  • Like 1

I use 4 subs, two in the front and two in the back of the room.  On three of them the phase 0 and one of the rear ones is 180.  That is why you need to see which sounds better and gives the greatest spl.  Also, did you do the sub crawl to determine the best location for your 1st sub?

• Like 1

I use 4 subs, two in the front and two in the back of the room. On three of them the phase 0 and one of the rear ones is 180

Oh my, this does not help LOL :blink:

My confusion is at the front.  Considering the Scala woofer firing.  To simplify, lets say it is firing out, towards the back of the speaker.  Now, with a sub right next to it, phase set to zero it will be firing "out" as well, towards listening position.  Will the two cancel each other out (bass)?  ...Or, is the significance of the air flow to be considered at the mouth of the Scala and not its woofer design and placement? 

I AM OVER-THINKING THIS AREN'T I ???

New additions to arrive soon (pair R-115's) and I just started thinking...

sub crawl

No, sounds like fun though :)

Am I correct, proper phase means all woofers firing in the same direction? 
No.
Sonically, they seem invisible.
This is good.  :emotion-21: 
If a sub were to be placed at the front, with the mains, what would proper phase be?  Scratch scratch scratch...
This is driving me crazy thinking about it!!!  Please help 
Proper "phase," as you are using the term in this context, would be that which ever prevents a cancelation between the subwoofer and the mains in the crossover region at the listening position(s).

This is most easily investigated and resolved by the use of an SPL meter. No need to think about what's firing when and where, as nothing is a constant.