Sporadic Surges at Low Volumes

The History Kid

Last summer while watching YouTube videos on my system, my power suddenly fluttered enough that one of the lights shuttered.  When it stopped I realized my subwoofer was no longer functioning.  Thankfully Polk decided that even though the unit was just out of warranty they'd replace the plate amp - which was blown.

Tonight, again - listening to low volumes - the power in just one outlet dropped - cycling everything on it.  Initially my subwoofer did not start, it took me turning it off and back on to get it to work again.  Do I need to check something in particular to make sure damage hasn't occurred?

Also - this worries me a bit, as it sounded like a pretty powerful current running through this outlet.  I checked around the house and verified that no other outlets were impacted.  The house is old, and whoever built it had this really bright idea to run all of the house on the same breaker - excluding the kitchen.  We since moved one of the bathrooms onto it's own breaker.  I've since powered down my Yamaha amp to see if that could help cut down on current.

My main question is, why would this happen at low volumes where there's not a lot of draw?  Both times that this has happened it's been late at night, and there has been no draw on the amp.  Both times it also seems to take a really nasty stink with the plate amp too.  Is that because unlike the receivers it does not have any circuitry protection?

Could it be the outlet?  Poor surge protectors?  (Besides the obvious breaker load issue...but I'm not sure I understand how that can be the actual cause of the problem.)

Geez, reading the title of your post,  I was thinking, that sounds quite naughty, but, not to be.... :ph34r:

But seriously, you need to get an electrician in there to take a look at things.  You are risking more than just a blown sub or a fried amp, that sounds to me like a real fire hazard.

Edited by jimjimbo

Haha...I bet.

We've had an electrician out before...they didn't express concern over a fire hazard, but I adamantly disagree with him.  Money's an issue with that stuff unfortunately.  My brother COULD do it...but, getting him to do it is difficult to say the least. :(

A thought that comes to mind:  the outlet is on an outside wall - could I have water leaking in on something in line?  The only problem with that theory I suppose is that there's no rhyme nor reason to it - in that it doesn't happen every time it rains.  The last time this happened was at the beginning of the summer (June) - and now again in March.  Both were late night.  This latest didn't cause anything to move like the last one, but it caused power to cycle on everything on the outlet.  The sub had to be switched off and on before working this time, last time it got fried.

Hmmm...:\  I can't figure this out.