a question on which reciever

chepo61

Hello everyone !

I'm new to the forum having just recently bought a complete reference speaker system consisting of the RF3 II's, RC3 and RS3's (awesome !!!), I did not get the suwoofer since I already have a yamaha YST - SW300 which blends in nice (but that's another issue SVS in the future ?). I'm search of upgrading my current reciever which is a yamaha RX-V2092 (DD but no DTS).

I've been doing reaserch (forum, audioreview.com, magazines and auditioning to a degree) and have narrowed my choices to the following:

Denon AVR-3802

Harman Kardon AVR-520

Yamaha RX-V1000, RX-V1200 (has anyone heard the new yamaha models: RX-V2300 and RX-V1300 that can give their thoughts on?).

I'd appreciate any advise or comments you guys in the forum can give me.

Thanks

since you already have the bigger rf-3 & probably will get a good sub i'd get a receiver that has an adjustable crossover in the processor that goes down to

40-60hz. 3802 only goes down as low as 80hz. you'd make much better use of the rf along w/ a sub that way.

jmo as i have a real peeve against those high crossovers w/ big speaks & a sub. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

keith, problem there is almost all seperate powered subs have a fixed or switchable high pass crossover still too high at 80-100hz, when you connect speaker level thru the sub.

good point though. if i had a fixed 80hz or higher receiver to work w/ again i'd run the fronts & sub both

off the front terminals in parallel & switch sub:no.

fronts:large then uses no high pass & the low pass on the sub blends it in only from that direction.

the downside is the lfe is muddled in w/ the low bass on the front speakers. lfe is only really for a good powered sub to handle. i've found the lfe is much more dynamic when handled only by a sub or subs & not split into the speakers also.

so the ideal is a processor that has an adjustable crossover low enough for the big speaks along w/ good power to drive them down to 40-50hz. the sub blends in w/ the big speaks down lower where they should & all the lfe goes only to the sub. that's the route i finally had to go w/ the ref 30 prepro & high power amp. Smile.gif

would be nice w/ the powered towers cause the sub & speakers are all in one box & location. what that does is eliminate the bass management problem compared to the seperate sub w/ standing waves one gets when they run fronts:large along w/ a sub in a seperate location.

also you w/ the PT you have more than 1 sub evening out the room response.

------------------

My Home Systems Page