I Love BIG, FAT, HOT, FIREY Russian -- T---- (tubes)

richieb

you sure that socket will even fit a 6C33?

The tube fit very nicely into the Johnson, and held it much better than Jud's.  But I wonder whether the Johnson wafer fits into the rather crowded Joule amp!  It could be one heckuva job to change out 6 of those on each side, if it requires working through a tangle of point-to-point wiring.  Any volunteers?

Edited by LarryC

Larry,

Again the object of a tube socket is not to hold the entire tube firmly. It is to electrically connect the tube pins to the metal contacts in the socket. In if the interface between the socket and the tube is to tight folks often will break the tube or if the tube has a center guide pin break the guide pin off removing the tube. If you actual sockets are not working properly the amp would not work at all without some obvious audible or visual problems like total red plating of the tubes, blown fuses, crackles and pops.

The old wafer type sockets are not that great in the longevity department. Heathkit used them in some of there products and they are a must replace item in those amps in a output tube location.

Craig

Craig,

I'm very used to smaller tube sockets that to me firmly hold tubes in place.  I'd never had anything larger than an EL-34 until I got this amp, so it's been an experience!  But somewhere along the line, one of the 6c33's overheated and melted the rim of the hole for that tube in the acrylic top plate.  I always assumed it was a bad pin contact of that 6c.

Maybe not, though -- I'm finding that pins of the smaller tubes can make poor contact and send the voltage readouts all over the place.  I have  belatedly discovered that if I wiggle/reseat the smaller tubes, the voltage swings stop and go back to normal.  There are NO signs of overheating or tube aberrations when any of this is happening!

Craig, should I spray Deoxit on all the tube pins, and re-seat?  The 6c's too?

Granted that the 6c wafer is not the last word in holding the tube tight, it is DEFINITELY a firmer grip than Jud's "originals," and I'd still like to consider replacing them some day.  I sometimes have to rock the big 6c's around to get the tube to operate again.

What do you think?

Larry, you might wont to look at the Yamamotto   sockets made of Teflon, with two different models one with beryllium sockets & the other with silver. I used these after my Bat cracked one of the porcelain sockets. The only thing -is to watch out for  space, the Teflon's are thicker. 

But if your not really having a problem you can identify associated with the sockets, personally I would let it be. The pins may not feel as tight as smaller tubes but the larger contact surface of those larger pins will make up the difference, "I suspect."

Cornman

Hi Cornman,

I haven't googled them yet, but does Yamamoto have 7-pin wafers that fit the 6c33b?  I doubt it because searchers have only found the Johnsons and the Chinese knockoffs.  These are not standard sockets by any means,  but, I'll look.

I have definitely had problems with pin contacts going in and out, otherwise I'd let it be.

Larry