Vintage 1980 La Scala's

BryanJ

Thanks SS, they arived with only a couple of minor chips. I am contemplating a tube amp.

Jolida, Canary audio, Dynaco.... Would be 40 watts/channel from these be adequate to drive my new oldies with dynamic music??

I'll post a pic sooner or laterSmile.gif

BJ

DocJ,

There are numerous choices for tube amplification. The first step is determining how you plan to use one. Whether it be as a true 2-channel system or as part of an HT set up. Many here use tube amplifiers ranging from low power Single Ended Triodes (SET), Push Pull and low/high power solid state amps. La Scala's being very efficient don't require massive amounts of power to reach ear splitting levels. Amps providing good clean current are very important to good sound.

You may want to browse some of the current and past topics on tube amplification in the 2 Channel area of the form. Regardless of the amplification type, it is far more beneficial to have the opportunity to listen to a tube or SS amp in your home. So take a gander at what's been suggested and reviewed in the 2-channel area, or HT area based on your planned usage of the La Scala's.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-27-2002 at 05:49 AM

Bryan,

Years ago I used one of Niles Audio's Speaker Selection Switch Boxes to accomplish that same thing. It was a Niles Audio DPS-1, with manual "A/B" switch to change between receivers. It did require running an enormous amount of cables as my power sources were at the extreme ends of the room.

Niles Audio now offers units that can perform Speaker Selection/Volume Control.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/speakerselectors.html

There may be other means available to accomplish this too.

Thought I would also mention, most audio enthusiast do try to refrain from inserting switch boxes and additional cables into the audio path. But I do understand what you want to achieve. Cause switching source IC's and speaker cable from one receiver/amp to another is a pain in the u now what. Guess that is why most elect for seperate HT and 2 channel only set ups.

Best of luck in your decision.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-02-2002 at 06:53 PM

Wes,

Thanks for that site. Yes indeed they have an item to indeed switch between two amps!!

Many thanks!!

Got a real clean Scott tube 222 amp on ebay on saturday. Now want to get a Eico HF81, compare the two, keep the best and maybe sell the other, maybe keep?Smile.gif

In addition to the rope caulking the horns and crossover, I'd re-wire the LS. When I purchased my '85 Khorns, they were entirely stock, including the wire. In inspecting the wire, I noticed it was almost black from corrosion. I did a partial rewire including the woofer and noticed a definate in bass response as well as smoothing of the highs (i.e., less tizziness).

It a relatively easy job.

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

Mike,

I have the original white small gauge wire with the red and black stripe on it for my La Scala's. I will be getting a pair of ALK's in the next couple of weeks and would like to update the wire at the same time. I'm not looking to spend a fortune here but can you tell me what wire I should use and where can I get it?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike L:

Wire's a touchy subject here and almost everyone has an opinion. I've had the opportunity to listen to numerous brands of wire, but settled on the Analysis Plus. The wire is relatively inexpensive (they have a variety of prices) and I've found it to work with all types of electronics. You can purchase "bulk" wire from any AP dealer and since you're going to use for a re-wire, you don't need to pay for pre-terminated cables. IMO, the cable lives up to the review hype.

FWIW, the cable design/construction is patented.

Regards,

Mike Masztal

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

quote:

Originally posted by DocJ:

....Got a real clean Scott tube 222 amp on ebay on saturday. Now want to get a Eico HF81, compare the two, keep the best and maybe sell the other, maybe keep?
Smile.gif

Bryan,

Congrats on the Scott!! Hope you are equally successful finding a good Eico.

I hope the unit has been updated by a qualified technician or owner. I case it hasn't and you're like me, a bit electronics challenged, you may want to have it checked out before installing in your system. Often times those electrolytic capacitors and as well as other types have suffered leakage, and require variable current be applied in an attempt to reform them. Sometimes reforming is successful other times they must be replaced.

So, if one applies instant current, and there are leaky or discharged caps, the voltage often rises faster than they can handle, thus something generally fails. This has the potential to damage the capacitor itself, other components, or the very costly power transformers in vintage amps or receivers. Proper Grounding should be checked as well. Some older equipment can be shockingly hazardous.

Just felt the cautionary note was warranted, as I would not want you or your new acquisition to be turned into toast.

Enjoy,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>