Mic for REW?

DizRotus

Please share suggestions for a suitable mic to use with REW software.

I have the Audyssey mic that came with an Onkyo AVR. Some say that is sufficient, others disagree.

I want to spend less than $100, so a used mic is a possibility. What do I look for? What do I avoid?

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Do you have a hand-held SPL meter?  If so, which brand and model?

Does your computer have both HDMI and USB bus connections?  Does your pre-amp have an HDMI and USB bus port?

The Audyssey microphone will actually work since it in itself is a calibrated microphone (albeit, one that has a more complex microphone curve than most instrument-quality microphones), but you need to make sure that the microphone that you have is of good pedigree: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1328136-measurement-mic-shootout-emm-6-wm-61a-rs-33-2055-audyssey-2.html#post20306353

audyssey_comp.jpg

From http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1328136-measurement-mic-shootout-emm-6-wm-61a-rs-33-2055-audyssey-4.html#post20392897

...Bosso, myself and Lennon 68 all measured our Audyssey mics as some 2.5-4db down at 10hz and increasing below there FWTW.

Whatever the case it does indeed look like these Audyssey mics are good enough for the hobbyist to use between 10hz-10khz without worrying about applying any correction.

That is my opinion at least as I don't consider being 3db down at 10hz a big deal for the average guy.

A lot of the mics that Notnyt is investigating appear to be all using the same Panasonic capsule (Gross assumption on my part.) because it is cheap and pretty accurate as well.

It should be no surprise that they measure similarly if using the same capsule design. Which ones if any of them are not using the Panasonic capsule? Do we know?...

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Do you have a hand-held SPL meter?  If so, which brand and model?

RS 33-2055

Does your computer have both HDMI and USB bus connections? 

Yes

Does your pre-amp have an HDMI and USB bus port?

HDMI, but no USB

The Audyssey microphone will actually work since it in itself is a calibrated microphone (albeit, one that has a more complex microphone curve than most instrument-quality microphones), but you need to make sure that the microphone that you have is of good pedigree: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1328136-measurement-mic-shootout-emm-6-wm-61a-rs-33-2055-audyssey-2.html#post20306353

audyssey_comp.jpg

From http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1328136-measurement-mic-shootout-emm-6-wm-61a-rs-33-2055-audyssey-4.html#post20392897

...Bosso, myself and Lennon 68 all measured our Audyssey mics as some 2.5-4db down at 10hz and increasing below there FWTW.

Whatever the case it does indeed look like these Audyssey mics are good enough for the hobbyist to use between 10hz-10khz without worrying about applying any correction.

That is my opinion at least as I don't consider being 3db down at 10hz a big deal for the average guy.

A lot of the mics that Notnyt is investigating appear to be all using the same Panasonic capsule (Gross assumption on my part.) because it is cheap and pretty accurate as well.

It should be no surprise that they measure similarly if using the same capsule design. Which ones if any of them are not using the Panasonic capsule? Do we know?...

• Like 1

This is the one I use... http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

It is only $75... REW: miniDSP worked along with John Mulcahy to develop even greater compatibility for the UMIK-1 inside REW! With the latest beta release of REW (v5.01 and up), the UMIK-1 is automatically recognized by the software and prompted for use when REW is started with the microphone plugged in.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

You could use the Radio Shack SLM (33-2055), no problem, if it has a mono RCA jack output.  If it has a stereo jack (apparently a "non-real version" of the RS meter), then I'd recommend the microphone that Ellis posted.

The RS meter will do as well as a calibration microphone--as good as an ECM8000 or a UMIK-1 calibration microphone--in terms of accuracy of SPL measurements: calibration threads on AVSForum

You will need some sort of sound card in a desktop-based computer, or an external sound card in a laptop computer in order to convert the RS meter's analog output to digital.  Here is a thread describing that device and the cabling/connectors: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mics-calibration-sound-cards/10001-rew-cabling-connection-basics.html

The Audyssey microphone will also work, but it will require a mini-mono headphone/microphone adapter to connect to an external sound card, like the RS meter.  The only disadvantage that I see in the Audyssey microphone is that I didn't see a calibration file online -- apparently the guys doing the microphone measurements at AVSForum used the calibration file for a typical ECM8000 microphone.

If you decide to be a big spender and go for the UMIK-1 microphone ($75), you can avoid the extra sound card and special connector(s) or mixer, and just plug in the cable to the microphone to one of your USB ports.  This is the simplest setup, and it will get you very good accuracy.

The HDMI connection from your computer to your preamp will provide a drive signal to power your sweeps.  The advantage of HDMI is that you will have extremely linear/flat response (relative to an analog sound card) if you set your preamp/processor to "Pure Audio" mode (or equivalent mode) for your particular preamp.  The recorded SPL will come from the microphone to either your sound card or a USB port.

You will also need something to hold your microphone or SPL meter in one position - like a microphone stand or a camera tripod with the right kind of screw mount to connect to your RS SPL meter.

I assume that you are going to be using REW for more than just subwoofer and bass bin calibration/EQing, right? Such as EQing your loudspeakers from 20-20,000 Hz?

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Chris-

This is most helpful. Yes I plan on using REW to dial in all speakers.

On another note, did you contact Mallette about the PVA facial? He's got more than he can use before it spoils, so it would be good if some were in your hands.

If that doesn't happen, next time I cook a batch (sounds like Breaking Bad), I'll send you some.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1