SF-2s and Magnetic Shielding

andyg

Today I ordered a pair of SF-2 floorstanding speakers. The Tweeter salesman advised that these speakers are magnetically shielded. This is crucial for me as the reason I purchased new speakers is because my 15-year old JBLs are not shielded and were affecting my Sony 34XBR800 high definition set. Because of space limitations, the SF-2s will likely be placed on either side of the set, probably 6-12 inches away.

When I returned home I checked the Klipsch website, which represents that these speakers are shielded.

But I also visited audioreview.com for feedback on these speakers. One reviewer of 27 that submitted feedback commented that the magnetic shielding on his SF-2s is "less than perfect" and that placement around his Sony rear projection TV was an issue.

To make matters worse, I also found a Sound and Vision on-line review of the Klipsch Synergy System 6 speakers which noted that the magnetic shielding was ineffective.

Does Klipsch have a magnetic shielding problem? I'm hopeful that these two items are anomolies and that the SF-2s will not present a problem. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Klipsch does not have a magnetic shielding problem than any other manufacturer. Any practical magnetic shielding is going to reduce, but not eliminate, stray magnetic fields. So, depending on sensitivity of your set and location of the speakers relative to the set, you may or may not have a problem. Moving the speakers a few inches, or changing their angle relative to the TV, can sometimes be the difference between success and failure. Sometimes it is necessay to tweak the set.