Center channel to go with KG5.5's

geartech

I'm in the process of updating my KG5.5's with new Crites tweeters and crossovers.

My current KV-2 center channel has a damaged mid/bass driver plus it too small for the setup I have.

Theater room is 22x25.

Driving them with a Pioneer Elite SC-72 AVR

and klipsch SW10 and home built 12" 500w ported cabinate sub

I'm thinking about the RP-450c center and a set of RS-42-II for side surround.

Or would going with the RP-440c and rp-160m be a better route

around $1200.00 to $1300.00 to put into them.

Is there any thing in that price range that will work or match better?

Edited by geartech
  • Like 1

Nothing that is current will match.  It will stick out like a sore thumb when the soundtrack pans across the front stage.  You need a KG 2.5V which is the matching center to have a coherent front stage.  The optimum choice but more difficult to incorporate would be an additional KG 5.5, or 3.5, 4.5.  The KG 2.5V can be had for far less.

• Like 2

That's the answer I was looking for.

I will more than likely move the 5.5's to the other theater room and update my mains to match the newer

lines from Klipsch.

Went with a set of RP-240s surrounds and the RP-450c center.

Now the task of hiding away funds to get a set of mains to match the new stuff.

I tired to replace the 5.5's with somthing other than Klipsch and I was very dissapointed with what is out there in the $1000.00 to $1300.00 price range per pair.

Took many a set back for refund and credit.  None had the impact the 5.5's had for home theater.

• Like 1

I ran a KV-3 with a set of KG 4.5s, great match as well. They can be had for relatively cheap. I would expect that they would go good with the 5.5's too. I had a set of 2.5's ran stereo with a sub and was not moved by the combo. I did not try one as a center but would imagine by the design it would be suitable as well. I believe the only difference between the standard 2.5 and 2.5v is the video shielding that is not needed with today's TV's so that may include your options. 

If you want to try a KV-3 pm me as I have it still collection dust.

I run the KLF-10s so I understand about the bass of those 10" woofers, sweet!

Not sure how crafty you are, but you could probably make a nice center to match your 5.5's. Speaker components are readily available on Ebay for the 4.5 and 5.5. Personally i built some cabinets and installed the KG-4 components minus the passives. Two vertically for mains and one horizontally as a center. The sound and clarity is nothing less than stunning. Paired with a good sub these speakers fill the room without breaking a sweat.

Outside of something like that, forum member IbizaFlame has a beautiful center channel that would pair nicely with them listed in the Garage Sale....and I second the KV-3 as an option. Nice center. I have at least three I am not using at the moment. If you need one, let me know.

Edited by teaman

Teaman does make a good point. I was able to get hold of a KLF-10 with the typical loose baffles and redid the motor board and It blows the C7 out of the water for match and output. It is just soooo big and it doesn't fit in my entertainment furniture.

To see a picture go to Craigslist for West Palm Beach(south FL) and search Klipsch - KLF-10 home theater.

Those are all options, the good thing I guess is I'm finally getting rid of my big entertainmnet center and mounting the tv on the wall and putting my

AVR componets on a shelf under the tv with the center speaker. So size isn't a huge factor.

I think I'll start looking for some parts to build one.

I'll keep you posted.

Love the KLF10 setup. That would be great in my room.

Edited by geartech

Or do what I did, run another kg5.5 as a center or a pair of them as a center like I'm doing now. I Own 8 of these guys. I picked up a pair of them not to long ago to build a pair of custom centers out of but I haven't had the time.

post-52949-0-57540000-1430928687_thumb.j

Edited by McMiRA