those who know a lot about receivers/amps... help

tpg

I am in need of an amp or reciever to drive my new KG-2.5's (four of them). I am not sure what to do with them as of yet. Right now, I could have a REALLY loud 2-channel with them. Adding a center would give me a good 5.1 HT. But, despite all of this, I have nothing to power them now. (except a ProMedia 5.1 amp)

If I was to go 2-channel, all I would really need is an amp, not receiver, since DD/DTS would not be an issue. Going HT would bring on an onslaught of other needs- flatscreen TV, suitable DVD player, reciever (5.1 or 6.1), etc, etc. We have an ok setup downstairs, TV-wise, it's a Toshiba 32", and we have a cheapy Sanyo DVD player, but my mom says NO SPEAKERS IN THE LIVING ROOM. It sucks, I know. BUt I could build somehting in what little bedroom room I have.

What do you guys think? What are good receivers and amps to look out for on eBay and local places? I know very little about recievers, other than the simple stuff like THD, output power, impedence, etc. What do I look for when buying one? What brands? Models? and etc etc etc. Smile.gif Thanks

------------------

SoundWise / <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@klispch.com">ProMedia Tech Support</A> / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-12-2002 at 04:53 PM

there are many receivers out there for <$200 that have the features you need...

100 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)

Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II decoding

however, these <$200 systems typically have a 'high' THD factor, like .8%! Consider that $100 more will lower that to .07%THD. .05%THD is pretty darn low Smile.gif

I would look around at the Premium RCA receivers at radio shack, the gold series is the same as Pioneer.

Go to Best Buy and see what you can get in the returns department, they often have perfect receivers where the only problem was the wife approval factor. Same goes for Tweeter and the like.

What is the budget? That is impertinant info (even though I can't spellSmile.gif)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Ack, I always forget something. Budget is not much... actually $7 at the moment. lol I just want to know what to look for when I have the money. (who knows when cwm6.gif)

Anyway, I don't have a Tweeter store, or a Best Buy- the closest BB is a few hours away where I got my PM's. We do have a Ciruit City, and they have a few ok recievers. They had a return buy Pioneer VSXD411 for a little off the original price. I was really wanting the Pioneer VSXD811S so I could add some large mains and use the KG-2.5's as surrounds and front/rear centers. But for $399, that won't happen too soon. My parents won't sponsor me either... Frown.gif

I guess for budget, lets keep it under $400 since that is VERY hard to come by.

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

On a side note...

I just hooked all of the KG-2.5's up to my ProMedia amp. I removed all the grills to look at the woofers... all appear to be in good shape minus a few spider webs. lol And more importantly, ALL WORK! Of course it was not loud at all.... but it is now with them not hooked up.... go figure. So, I really want a reciever now... Anyone got one they will sell for really cheap? lol

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>