Briefly, what is SACD

m00n

Doing some research for a new DVD player and something I see comeing up a lot is SACD....

Thanks.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

So, in order to get a DVD player that I can expect to have a for a long time to come, one that will be compatible, is it safe to say that I want one with both formats? Or should I not even worry about this as it's so new? Sorry, but I have not yet read the link you supplied.cwm6.gifcwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 08-12-2002 at 01:40 PM

Moon,

I have been into DVD Audio for about a year now. I must say the sound quality is very exceptional. Granted some of the older recordings are still, older recordings. However, most of the DVD A disc are being re-mastered by companies like Rhino, who do an outstanding job. I thought about SACD before I bought my DVD Audio machine. I wanted to explore Hi Res 6 channel as well as 2 channels. The problem with SACD is over 95% of all the releases are 2 Channel where as 99.99% DVD Audio is both 2 & 6 Channel as well as a DD track and even DTS as well.

I commented about DVD Audio to the writers of Audio Revolution last year giving my feedback as to why DVD Audio will eventually be the dominate winner in the multi channel / 2 channel Hi Res format. Since DVD A has a DD or DTS track on the disc as well. All those people out there that have a DVD player that want to explore music disc, DVD A would allow them to do so before investing into a DVD A machine. SACD does not offer this to these masses. So for those thinking of moving up to the HI RES sound in the next year or so can start adding DVD A disc's to their collections and play them in DD or DTS. Then once they upgrade their machines they would have already been building their libraries of Hi Res DVD A discs. The editor of Audio Revolution whole-heartedly agreed with me on this.

I think SACD is a great format. However, I believe Sony will once again stub its big corporate toe on this. The future of Audio will be DVD and not a hybrid CD...IMHO

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

So, I am still a bit confused. Is this for music CD's such as Pink Floyd, Van Halen, or is this for movies as well. If it's just for music, I will not be all the worried about it, but if it IS for movies then I will be needing to up my understanding.cwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

mOOn - This is for music only. If DVD-A discs also have DD/DTS tracks on them, those are just different encoding formats for the audio (just as it is on DVD-V). So, you can hear multi-channel versions of the music via DD/DTS encoding on your existing DVD player without investing in a DVD-A player. (Of course, you can't hear the DVD-A encoding without a DVD-A player.)

As an example, I have a DTS recording of Diana Krall which plays in DTS multi-channel format with no video associated with it at all.

DVD means Digital Versatile Disc, not Digital Video Disc, so they can slap anything on it they want, including music only.

Hope that helps more than hinders. cwm20.gif

Doug

------------------

My System