XT32 Results as Tested with REW

gadgtfreek

Here are just the subs

Sub%20XT%2032%20on%201%20port%20June%201

Yea, it needs to tilt the opposite way - +5 dB on the bottom end (i.e., a "house curve") rather than -5dB. 

For instance, the blue and orange traces are my fronts and the subs at one meter in front of each loudspeaker/sub (the green trace is the center JuBelle), with the dips in response due to the microphone positions (except for about 31 Hz, which is a room mode cancellation: ceiling-floor):

front three spks - one metre + sub on jubs.png

Looks like crossing over to your subs at even 40 Hz might be tried and run with Audyssey XT32 to reduce the gain of the fronts, center and surrounds to match the subs.  Not sure if Audyssey allows that kind of control, i.e., it may want to tell you where it wants to cross over but if you can,  move it lower and try for a listen.  You'll get significantly less AM and FM bass distortion by doing that, and all it costs is a little time.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Cent%20XT32%20on%20vs%20off_zps1nfbacbv.

Looking at that center run without XT32, it has a good dip after 100 and one at 500. The fronts do not have a dip at 500 and their dip after 100 is not as deep as the center. Do you think moving the center back a few inches would help any of that? I cannot move it forward but it could go back. I figure if I helped that 100 dip on the center it would help all of their dips their with XT32 on.

Generally speaking, as you move any loudspeaker closer to the walls, dips in response will tend to flatten out. 

Try moving it if it doesn't cost a lot of time and effort to do so, and run REW again.  I think that you will see improvement in the 200-400 Hz region peaks and dips.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks.

It will be easy to check when i get home today, takes longer to set up the gear lol. I will start at current position and measure raw sweeps, moving back 2" each time. I guess at some point, even though the center is aimed up, moving it back will be too far behind the front of the tv stand it is on and negatively affect something else?

IMG_1635_zpsekuaa2uz.jpg

I am also going to put the subs back outside the mains when I get the new sub in. I think they (mains) are spread a little too far now.

Edited by gadgtfreek

So here we are now

IMG_1655_zpswkfbufsb.jpg

I spent today perfecting the height on the center and toyed with distances, covering glass in the room, nothing much made a hill of beans difference. So, it is what it is (these are all raw with no auto eq applied) and I also moved the subs a good distance from one another and toed the mains in. They pretty much shoot across our inner arm rests aiming at some spot behind us.

Center

Center%20Channel%20Raw_zps9kv3u5hh.jpg

FL

FL%20Raw_zpseweq3f09.jpg

FR

FR%20Raw_zpsnk57rgmr.jpg

Subs

Subs%20inside%20vs%20out%20Raw_zpseldxkn

The lower blue is when the subs were about 7 or 8 feet apart, the upper line is once I spread them out. Once I got to 13 feet away from each other the 100-120hz got better and jsut moving them further apart got rid of the 22hz dip I have had the whole time. Room sim kinda led me to believe that would happen.

When I get the new sub setup tomorrow I'll run XT32 and take some db measurements.

• Like 1

Results with second Rythmik installed

XT32 Off

XT32%20Off%20speakers%20june%2016_zpsue1

XT32 Reference(Movie)

XT32%20on%20speakers%20june%2016_zpsozfa

XT32 Flat(Music)

XT32%20flat%20speakers%20june%2016_zpsdd

To be honest, i am going to swap over to flat. I do not see a point to the intentional 2khz area dip and the 8khz rolloff. Not sure why this is Movie vs Music.

Sub looks real good and did what I hoped. It is +/-5 db from 12hz to 100hz. The VTF's were more a hump and did not gain steam until 30hz where these get going early and are pretty consistent. I think I found a fix to that 22hz dip, just waiting on a longer RCA cable to move one sub out another 1.5 feet.

sub%20xt32%20flat%20dual%20fv15hp_zps3gv

Next step is adding acoustic panels to the wall we sit right up against.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

Well, by moving my fronts inside the subs and spreading the subs out as far as possible, they have a better response. The flip side is I think the 7ii's sound better at 10.5feet apart vs 8.5feet apart. I think I am going to move the subs back inside and spread the 7ii's back out. Its all a trade off and I never had a problem with the subs before even though the line wasn't as pretty, but it is obvious the 7ii's need a little more air.

That isn't terribly surprising since the human ear is pretty good at telling you what works and what doesn't...in the final analysis. 

Sometimes though, you need the tools to help separate out all the factors in your mind in order to understand each piece of the puzzle. 

Once you use the analysis and test tools, I've found that it always creates new solution approaches and...more importantly...discards those approaches that won't work very well, thus saving a bunch of time and money over trial-and-error approaches.

I agree, while you can obsess, it gives you an easy way to find out what works and then you can make the best compromise. In my case I spread the 7ii's back out to a little over 10ft apart and XT32 measured them at 10.1 and 10.2 from the MLP. I crammed the subs back inside flanking both sides of the stand and running in the modes I found them to perform best at high playback volume.

We just watched a blu-ray and it sounds good.

I will run some sweeps again on monday, curious if they picked up any output going from 13ft apart to 6ft apart.

Edited by gadgtfreek