XT32 Results as Tested with REW

gadgtfreek

It is nice to see you have taken steps to improve the SQ in the room.  Shorten the graph, for example 15 or 20 Hz to 200 Hz with 1/6 smoothing.  This will make it easier to see what needs work.  Also note the subs native FR and the FR with Auddysee,  This way you can tell how much bass boost has been implemented.

Yeah, Im learning. I re-did it because these two subs in 25hz tuning were not good at all, should have been running in max extension mode because now the 16-20hz is flat and only about 5db off 40-60 and close to 25-40.

This will give me a good comparison for tomorrow when I swap one VTF15 for the Rythmik, and then once I can install the second Rythmik. 

One other great thing is, since I have to level match the 64ii since XT32 bottoms it out, I feel a lot more confident using an audio blu-ray, REW and the Umik-1 for accurate SPL adjustments (matching all speakers to 75db with pink noise).

060415%20-%20All%20Apeakers_zpsq6hmtpmd.

060415%20-%20Subs_zpsthwvcdxn.jpg

None really that I know of. I can't make any adjustments to XT32 other than level match and I did that, distances are OK. My next step would be a minidsp with Dirac, but I gotta get my second sub first. As far as the sub, I can run in low freq tuning or 24hz, and obviously low freq is better.

I checked output with test tones from 16hz to 80hz on a CD I have. 17hz mode yielded 10db more at 16 and 20, and was pretty much the same at levels higher than that. Tested using reference volume on the AVR.

I think  the FV15HP's have a parametric EQ on them so I can probably work out the sub dip at 22hz with it.

Edited by gadgtfreek

You can copy audussey EQ settings into manual and then adjust all you want. Just saying. Audyssey does more than people think. Just gives you a great baseline. In fact it gives you as good as your gonna get if your going for flat. If you like house curves and what not then adjust away.

• Like 2

It def does a good job IMO, when you compare off and on. I have always been happy with XT32 when done right, and when speakers are setup right. My main purpose for getting into REW was to see what changes would do, like the sub tuning, and to be able to more accurately level match. 

I may get into Dirac down the road, but thats about $900.

Coolest thing about REW is all I have in it is $25 for a long HDMI and USB ext cable, $110 for the mic, and the donation I sent the guy that writes REW. CHEAP.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

You can copy audussey EQ settings into manual and then adjust all you want. Just saying. Audyssey does more than people think. Just gives you a great baseline. In fact it gives you as good as your gonna get if your going for flat. If you like house curves and what not then adjust away.

This good to know Scrappydue!  I am not up on Audyssey these day.  From what I have seen on the old Chase site, Audyssey does a great job.

How do you do that on the 4520?

It def does a good job IMO, when you compare off and on. I have always been happy with XT32 when done right, and when speakers are setup right. My main purpose for getting into REW was to see what changes would do, like the sub tuning, and to be able to more accurately level match. 

I may get into Dirac down the road, but thats about $900.

Coolest thing about REW is all I have in it is $25 for a long HDMI and USB ext cable, $110 for the mic, and the donation I sent the guy that writes REW. CHEAP.

Price just went up to $999... I am going to get one very soon.

IIRC, using the manual eq copying over the base curve limits you to the 9 band eq and none of the high resolution filters XT32 uses. Probably not the best move.

The best move really is a device with a parametric eq built in, and then use REW or Dirac to calibrate it from the get go. 

Knowing my upgraditis I am sure I will end up with a mini dsp...

Edited by gadgtfreek

ill jack with it tomorrow after work. i don't do it personally as i am happy but i remember seeing it on there.  

Is this only for XT 32 ? Can you do this for XT ?
i wanna say i remember seeing this on my 1713 also but haven't had that one hooked up for a while so can't be 100% sure on that. id let you guys know more but i got to get to bed and I've been tending to a leaky basement with all this rain! 
  • Like 1

IIRC, using the manual eq copying over the base curve limits you to the 9 band eq and none of the high resolution filters XT32 uses. Probably not the best move.  
yeah but if you copy the odyssey curve  and can tweak 9 additional spots if that is what you desired why would that not be a good move? 

and if you don't have room treatments id do that in a heart beat with your upgrade-itis over a mini dsp. room is number one speakers number two. 

It copies the "base curve" over, not the final result where audyssey has applied the filters. The 9 band eq's cannot make the adjustments needed to best the audyssey cal.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/474096-Audyssey-adjustments-and-manual-EQ

Next time I have my AV guy over we are gonna talk Gik acoustic panel placement.

I am not in any hurry for the dsp, I am real happy with XT32. I mainly got into REW for subwoofer tinkering, and I still have another subwoofer to pay for :)

Edited by gadgtfreek

ill jack with it tomorrow after work. i don't do it personally as i am happy but i remember seeing it on there.  

Is this only for XT 32 ? Can you do this for XT ?
i wanna say i remember seeing this on my 1713 also but haven't had that one hooked up for a while so can't be 100% sure on that. id let you guys know more but i got to get to bed and I've been tending to a leaky basement with all this rain! 

Thanks, I am getting ready to get a MiniDSP DDRC-88A, and would like to have a printout of my Audyssey settings to compare to the DDRC-88A. I am working on getting a new another AVP to replace my Denon so i would like to at least get close to what i have now room tune wize, and go from there.

...so I can probably work out the sub dip at 22hz with it.

That looks like a room mode at 22 Hz.  What are the dimensions of your room and where did you place your microphone relative to the subwoofer(s)?

You can usually see if there is a room mode issue by looking at the group delay plot in REW--if GD is high at the frequency area of interest, you're probably looking at room mode or speaker placement.

Are you running an upsweep from REW and using that to drive your system, or are you using a CD to generate a drive signal?

Chris

• Like 1

this... that is exactly what I do with mcacc... as a matter of fact, you can set several independent switchable channel settings that can be selected on the fly for different recording demands.