What exactly did I buy this morning?

K5SS

Looks to me like someone cobbled together a Heresy 'clone' using original dimensions, a biscuit joiner (modern technology), with parts from a early-mid 60's pair of actual Klipsch Heresies. The style of wrapping grille cloth around motor board, then securing with screws from the back of the cabinet cleats matches that used in my 1963 Cornwalls. Perhaps the old mids were blown and tossed (horror of horrors), but those woofers and tweets are worth the price of admission. You could possible fashion them back into something resembling and sounding like a true Heresy of the era with K700 horn/K55V combo and a proper network. Lots of loose parts floating around here on Forum from guys who have modified their speakers. 

What appears to be particle board motor board, the pegboard rear panel, fibreglass insulation dampening, 'network' part, were never used in Klipsch loudspeaker. Note that on early Heresies, the rear panel was only 3/8" panel, not 3/4". 

• Like 1

15.5" wide, 11" deep and 23.5" tall.

The back panel isn't pegboard, it is Particle board. It is about 3/4" thick and both are solid pieces.

Really solid construction and they are beautiful. I will see if I can find any markings..

According to Klipsch.com re the Heresy I the dimensions were: 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm).

So it seems to not be an HI cabinet. I'm still thinking it is from some commercially produced speaker.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

If any forum members are local to the seattle area, I would let them go for $200.

I will probably keep an eye out for a pair of really old walnut Heresy's. I am not handy enough to work on them, maybe there is someone local that is?