Fisher Stereo Receiver - One channel louder when stereo button engaged

japosey

I just picked up a really nice Fisher receiver and when playing with it today I realized that when playing in stereo the right channel plays at a much lower volume than the left.  When I engage the mono button, both channels play at the same level. This is with every source and is isolated to the one channel. The unit is really clean with no scratchy controls.  Does anyone know what may be causing this situation and a possible remedy?  If not, I guess I will send it in for repair, but I was hoping I might be able to do the repair myself.

Unfortunately, there's little you can do to repair this yourself.  It needs to be put on the bench for evaluation.  There are a number of potential problem areas in that series of receivers.  I'm not aware of any good solid state service techs down your way, so perhaps an inquiry posted in the 2 channel section will yield some recommendations.

Maynard

Unless you have a lot of experience with pc board component replacement I urge you not to attempt the suggested repair.  Firstly, the problem may not be a capacitor.  Secondly, the boards which Fisher used are not of the best quality and can be damaged if not handled properly.  So, again, find a solid state repair guy with a good reputation and have it dealt with properly.  

Maynard