Have you read this?

MyOwn

Interesting read and the article is disturbing on many levels, not just from a father’s point of view.  It seems like the “predator drug” of the 1970s was methaqualone combined with alcohol and a predator; and not too unlike Rohypnol today being the “predator drug” of choice being involved in many rape situations. 

It does seems like the author spent some time to cross reference and check aspects of the situation that are described in the article.  In addition, it sure seems to cast doubt about Cherie Curie and Joan Jett.   

With Curie’s autobiography disguising and characterizing Fuchs’ (Runaways’ stage name Jackie Fox) rape in a very disrespectful way that just cast doubt about the integrity on the remainder of the book being nothing more than fiction.

Then an interesting Q&A with Curie in the 2010 interview below.

http://www.spin.com/2010/03/sex-rock-rape-cherie-curries-untold-runaways-story/

[in that scene, Kim has sex with a woman in front of the band in order to, as you recall, “teach you dogs how to f*ck.” You seem to remember him as a nasty guy but Joan Jett calls him a “close friend.” Does it bother you that she likes him?

No. It’s like battered-wife syndrome. Some women love the abusive men they’re with and that’s kind of the way I was with Kim. I really wanted his approval. And he apologized to me on the phone a year ago, saying if he had to do it over again he wouldn’t have treated us that way. He didn’t know how to handle 15-year-old girls. In his own crazy way, he loved us.]

From the article, it does seem that Jackie has Keri Krome, Cherie Curie (now says she "spoke up and stormed out of the room" the night Fuchs was raped) and Brent Williams, among others (e.g., Helen Roessler and Trudie Arguelles) that corroborate her account of the rape on that 1975 New Year’s Eve as being accurately written here.

However, it seems that Joan Jett might need another 40 years to actually remember the rape she apparently witnessed on her bandmate since she just recently gave a spectacular eulogy of her “mentor” that she praised at her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction as she doesn’t seem to remember what Brent Williams alleges she told him during a phone call.

[“Shortly after Jackie returned to Los Angeles and the stories of her quitting the band hit the news, Brent Williams, who witnessed what happened to her the previous New Year’s, says he received a call from Jett. She said that Jackie’s parents might file a lawsuit. If lawyers ever contacted him, he needed to deny being in the motel room that night. (Jett’s representative did not comment when asked about the phone call.)

This was part of a pattern, Williams says. A day or two after the rape, Fowley made sure Williams attended a party of his in Hermosa Beach. There, Fowley warned him not to talk about what he'd seen. Fowley then asked Williams to pick up a guitar and gave him an on-the-spot songwriting lesson.”]

Then the article goes on to state, “I remember opening my eyes, Kim Fowley was raping me, and there were people watching me,” Jackie says. She looked out from the bed and noticed Currie and Jett staring at her. She says this was her last memory of the night.

Joan Jett, through a representative, denied witnessing the event as it has been described here.  Her representative referred all further questions to Jackie “as it’s a matter involving her and she can speak for herself.”

Amazing testimony from a woman that claims to be champion of women and freely talks about the cruelty that women rockers face.

http://joanjettbadrep.com/Interviews/1999/micromag8.shtml

AT: When Bad Reputation came out, the bio said you were rejected 23 times by record companies - how did you keep your faith that you had something in the face of so much rejection?

Jett: I'll tell you, it was really hard. It was really hard, because there was no one being positive except your little insulated group-literally the band, Kenny Laguna who was my producer at the time and really that's all I had at that point. I credit Kenny with a lot of ...giving me hope again. Because I wasn't used to seeing- especially a guy...I came from the experience of The Runaways where we got our asses kicked for being girls playing rock and roll. We weren't supposed to do that. We got called every name in the book and people were rude and judged every little thing we did. So then when I met this guy that thought I was talented, thought I could write songs, thought I was really good and saw the various injustices and said "F*ck man that's really not fair and I really want to help." That was great and it was very genuine. It was powerful and that's what kept me going initially through that early period when the early Blackhearts and the rejection and the fans...the gigs we would do around New York and the various other states right around where we would play. Between the fans and just other people, Kenny and other people in the business, that helped us that believed and helped do various things-like get us on radio...helping the underdog you know. There was a small support network, but it was really, really important. It was small but it was mighty. The fans and friends...that's what helped me get through it.

AT: The Runaways too...I think people don't really realize what you guys did go through. You were actually spit at...

Jett: Yeah, a lot of times. That happened in The Runaways and after it. With The Runaways I think people just didn't get it. I still think they don't really get it. They look at a girl that plays hard guitar as sort of a novelty and sort of like "it's so different". Maybe it is so different, but it's not unattainable at all. And to give women the impression that what I do is SO hard or so impossible for them to achieve too - it's not. It really isn't. You just have to make up your mind that you're going to do it and you're going to stick with it for a little bit and you sure can do it. That's no question.

Edited by Fjd