Horn Subwoofer ?

RayCanales

I bought a pair of K33 Drivers so now I have an extra set of them has anyone ever made a Horn subwoofer and if so where can I get some plans for such or where can I buy the plans?

My Belles made it thru another weekend of Abuse but my Sub sucks want to build something like the bass enclosure of the Belles but more punchy.

thanks

------------------

Current System

Panasonic TH-50PHD3U plasma tv

B&K REF 3220

B&R ST 1400II

Adcom GTP830

JVC XV-SA600BK

Klipsch Belles

Klipsch KLFC7

Klipsch RB5

Velodyne HGS12

Take a look at Bruce Edgar's stuff -(Sorry couldn't find any links). Send a PM to Tom Brennan as I think TB has been in contact with Dr. E.).

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I built a hornloaded subwoofer to go with my Heresys. It may be a bit different than what you are thinking of, though. It is the Decware WO32. I used two Vifa M26WR-09-8 10" woofers per Steve Deckert's original design. These are long throw woofers with a reasonably low Fs, reasonable efficiency, and good power handling capacity. The sub has usable response down to about 18 Hz. It is not small, but not hugh either: about 36" x 24" by 13.5" The design is scaleable for larger woofers. Plans are available from www.decware.com. You might look at his Housewrecker design, not horn loaded, but interesting.

Don't know how suitable the K33 is for a subwoofer. But you can always give it a try and substitute a different woofer if it doesn't work out.

If you are thinking of an Edgarhorn subwoofer, I hope you have a lot of room. The one I saw a picture of would be a tight fit, width and height, through a normal door.

You ought to be able to find a lot of designs by doing a search on "DIY subwoofer" or something similar.

Mmmmmmmm, horn subwoofers Smile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Malcolm---A couple of astute horn designers have told me that Decware WO is not a horn at all but simply a bandpass box, something I'd always suspected. Look at the specs, it's not even acting like a horn in terms of overall bandwidth and bass extension. No horn that size is going down to 18hz, if it is it is, by definition, not acting as a horn but as something else. Not that the thing mightn't sound good.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Ray---Why not simply build a Klipschorn bassbin and use it as a sub? It doesn't go as low as many subs but it does have tremendous power and killer dynamics. I've never listened to a KHorn and thought "gee, that thing needs deeper bass". Besides, those K-33 woofs are weird and probably aren't good for much but using in Khorns. By the way, Bruce Edgar's horn subis only 72"x31"x26" and will easily fit through a door. And it's only $1000 in unfinished MDF, a real bargain, no, an incredible bargain. It's the equal of any sub I've heard the only contender being a pair of Tom Danley's ServoDrive Contrabasses I heard recently and they cost ALOT more money. Reach Bruce at 310-630-1621, that's his business number.

I Modified a CRATE 18ich sub to a RP-3 amp, the low end is stronger than my set of Klipschorns!

BUT listening to the sub and k-horns is overkill, PLUS the conventional 18 inch driver takes over the bass from the folded horn woofer!

Klipschorns folded horn, rear firing, CRATE 18inch front firing with ports!

In all i like the sound from the Klipschorns, and the crate mod is for movies!

There is no bass like the Klipschorns!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 08-15-2002 at 07:32 PM

Sub woofers for music are over sold. At this web site (http://polly.phys.msu.su/~zeld/oscill.html), you can get for free a windows based scope with a Fast Fourier Transform function. A FFT will devide up the incoming signal into it's fundamental frequencies. Shows you where the energy is. I listen only to music (SACD mostly now) and there is very little content below 50 Hz. I sprung for a ULD 15 to go with my La Scala's. It does very little work on the stuff I listen to, mostly Jazz and Blues. The 511B's with 802's were a much better improvment for roughly the same price. Tom, thanks for the advice on the horns. How does it feel to never be wrong?

Jim N

This message has been edited by jnorv on 08-15-2002 at 08:48 PM

Jim---Indeed, my favorite sounding electric bassplaying rig was the old Fender Dual Showman with a cabinet using a pair of JBL D-140s, such a rig starts rolling-off at around 90-100 hz but a Fender Jazz or P Bass played through one sounds so good. And I always had my bass-drum tensioned tight, single-headed and used a wood beater, not much low bass there either. And lots of Jazz drummers were keen on 18" and 20" Gretsch bassdrums, those little guys didn't go low. Yeah, for reproducing for Jazz, Blues and Pop deep bass extension isn't much needed but dynamics and clarity are.

Glad the Altecs sound good to you, I've played with lots of horns and drivers but keep going back to a simple Altec set-up, very natural.

I am a techno-head, so a sub is as important to me as the mains!!! Smile.gif Really.

I have some music of some guy workin' it on a drum kit. Even with the kick drum, there is not a lot of bass. I put on some super synth music and my subwoofer starts to cry. Poor subwoofer...

I am sure a kettle drum (or whatever the big drums are called...) could work my sub, but not as much as a solid 15 Hz. note plugged into an ambient track...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Tom,

Like I said, the WO32 is different than what one might normally think of as a horn subwoofer. I stumbled onto it when I was researching building a traditional horn subwoofer. I decided to try it after deciding I didn't want something as big as would be required with a traditional horn design.

The WO32 is certainly a horn in the sense that on one side of the baffle there is a woofer in a sealed chamber, and on the other side there is a folded horn. But the mouth area is much smaller than called for using traditional horn formulas even for a horn that would be in a corner.

It sure doesn't look like a typical 4th order bandpass box with a sealed back chamber and ported front chamber. Could it be operating as one? Perhaps, if the volume of air inside the woofer cone is right to act as the front chamber and the horn is acting as a tapered port. I don't have the time to figure out all the parameters and crunch the numbers. But my guess is they won't fit with the performance. I think there is something else going on here.

Whatever the WO32 is, it works.