Klipsch Atmos system testing at JL's house

Jay L

Why do you have the atmos components mounted on the wall instead of flat so they could fire upward or downward?

I have the RP-280FA in front, so the Atmos channels are built in. I wanted to use the RP-140SA as a surround to showcase it in other uses.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Part of what makes it work is not getting too much direct axis information. If you hear info from the speakers position, it destroys the effect. Not just any speaker can be canted back and fired toward the ceiling.

The precedence effect is very strong, indeed.  What is the LF cutoff and crossover frequency of RP-140SA? 

How did you collimate the frequencies handled by the cone woofer?  Doesn't the coverage angle spread out as you go down in frequency, until you're painting the front row of seats with LF energy from the "height channels"?  How does that work?

Chris

• Like 1

Ah ha!, somebody is putting some actual thought into this. Wavelengths larger than the cone diameter becomes less directional the lower you go. The nearest speaker can actually pick up the bass depending on chosen crossover point. The two models were designed similar to a standard 2-way, while applying the required Dolby IP.

The directivity of our direct axis is really good compared to others on the market. You also have to pay attention to what is spraying on the back of the speaker. This will hit the nearby wall and give off more direct axis information as well.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

And the LF cutoff and crossover frequencies of this "height channel" loudspeaker? 

I understand how to capture, port forward, or otherwise attenuate the backwave, and diffraction off the enclosure edges. 

How do those attributes work when you're using the loudspeaker as a surround?

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

And the LF cutoff and crossover frequencies of this "height channel" loudspeaker? 

I understand how to capture, port forward, or otherwise attenuate the backwave, and diffraction off the enclosure edges. 

How do those attributes work when you're using the loudspeaker as a surround?

Chris

Our recommendation is a 150Hz crossover for the RP-140SA. It can be lower if you aren't running 200W to the speaker. We error on the safe side so don't be alarmed by the higher number. The crossover is near 2k for both models. The RP-280FA height channel can be crossed at 80Hz. The RP-140SA speaker works the same no matter what location it is used in. My point regarding the rear direct axis was in reference to a requirement by Dolby. It is more a comment about speakers in general. I can only say so much depending on what information they (Dolby) have told the public. I need to seek out what has been released, and what is held close so I don't overstep my bounds. I have a spec book, but 90% is not for everyone's eyes.

• Like 1

Advertising loudspeakers without being able to see their specifications isn't something that I've noted that Klipsch did in the past.  You can advertise your loudspeaker performance specifications without revealing third-party "secret" specifications.

And since you didn't mention it (correct me if I'm wrong)....the requirements for a "height channel loudspeaker on the floor using ceiling bounce" and a "surround channel" loudspeaker don't appear have anywhere near the same coverage requirements. 

Dolby Labs' pig-in-a-poke product (Atmos) probably have their own forum for comments--I won't bother anyone here.  However, it does seem to me that Dolby is playing a particularly unlikable game of "me, too" vis-à-vis other extant second or third generation surround sound formats.  I don't miss being a part of that type of corporate competitive strategy.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1