Cornwall Original Crossover Specs?

atkinsonrr

Am wondering if anyone knows the diagram and values for the original Cornwall xover with the big oil caps? I would like to take my Cornwalls back to that genre crossover. Thanks!

In the B network in the Cornwalls:

The original caps are Aerovox, 100 VAC, 60 Hz. The high end one is 2uF and the bottom one is 4 uF. They are no longer made by this company. Old ones (NOS) are just that, old. Capacitors have a shelf life. You don't want to be buying a "dead" parrot that is just pining for the fijords of Norway from John Cleese. You would be much wiser putting good quality capacitors in their place, especially th 2uF cap.

The inductor (part 2133) can be replaced with a 2.4 mHy inductor. Solid wire is fine, although you can go to litz wire if money is no object. The wire should be 12 awg., although 14 gauge is fine.

The inductor makes a tremedous change in the sound and bass response.

What you end up with is better parts, but the same crossover configuration.

Good luck,

Don

There is a B network schematic somewhere in the archives (not sure where). In the "Great Inductor face off" thread, I know there is a schematic of the Heresy E network which is just like the B network, except for the following:

1. The B uses a 4uF and a 2uF cap. The 4uF is the furthest from the tweeter.

2. The T2A autotransformer taps for the B networks are "4" and "3" in lieu of "3" and "2". The little number are visible on the T2A if you look closely.

3. Polarity all IN PHASE for B network.

4. Both the B and E use a 2.5mH inductor.

If you draw out the Heresy E network from the named thread and follow the above steps, it will make a lot of sense. BTW, I do like the sound of the B network and think it is a worthwhile venture to build a pair.

Warmest regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-21-2002 at 03:22 PM

Thanks Weiming!

If you also want a 'B Network' schematic, just remove the 245uH inductor, the 20mF cap, and replace the 3uF cap with a 4uF cap. Polarities all IN PHASE with the B Network (unlike the B2 network).

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-21-2002 at 03:24 PM

Weiming,

Basically, crossover component cause phase shifts in the drivers. The phase shifts cause holes in the frequency response due to destructive interference in the region of the crossover points. To compensate for the phase shifts, one or more drivers may be wired in or out of phase with each other (usually done on the crossover). In the B2 network, the squawker and tweeter are wired out of phase relative to the woofer. In the B Network, all drivers are wired in phase.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-21-2002 at 03:28 PM

Okay, I pulled the backs off - I was wrong (sorry). The drivers are ALL IN PHASE like the B Network shown in ChuckElliot's post. I will go back and correct my previous posts to make sure the info is correct.

Best I can figure, is when I drew my wiring diagram a while back, I must have assumed the driver polarity was the same as my Heresey E networks (very similar crossovers to the Cornwall B networks) which do have reverse phasing for the squawker and tweeter.

Warmest regards,

Andy

P.S. I'm reminded of a Deep Thought by Jack Handy: "It takes a big man to say he's sorry, but it takes an even bigger man to make that man say he's sorry."