Hottest TV Show Last Nite!

Jim Naseum

Yes, he was on CBS this morning. I watched it! I

Jon was not on CBS this morning. it was a Nov interview he did at last minute with his good friend Mo.

Okay--Which was it? I realize the quotes and link were from November 2014 as per my research, but if he wasn't on CBS this morning someone has some explaining to do....

Edited by Zen Traveler

Opinions are like assholes...everyone thinks it's just their own that doesn't stink. ;)

Jon was not on CBS this morning. it was a Nov interview he did at last minute with his good friend Mo. 

"I lost a lot of sleep on that one. He didn't!"

Not a sentence a corporate ***** you're claiming him to be would say being upset he didn't force elaboration from Rumsfeld.

You really need to cherrypick with a little more thought,  to fit your narrative of a corporate shill and lackey. 

First of all, Why are you attenpting to insult me? LOL - - Show the case for JS if he is so great! LOL...he's the subject here, not me! LOL!!!

Here's the listing for today's "CBS Sunday Morning." Notice the box titled, "I despise interviewing Politicians." ??? That interview aired this morning, August 9, 2015. Apparently, you didn't see it. But I did. 

1. Rumsfeld put him in his place when face to face, and JS went submissive to the authority, That can not be denied. Just watch the original. He defers to all these authoritarian figures when face to face. Behind their backs he slings insults. There's no cherry picking. That's his persona for as long as he has been in public as an entertainer. In the old days, we referred to guys like that as "cheap shot artists." 

2. He is helping all those figures he pretends are adversaries by pimping their books, giving them a platform to sell their ideas. How can that be anything else but a corporate lackey of the Comedy Central corporation? Does CC operate any different than FOX? Why they would pay him $30M? You know, we aren't talking about Lenny Bruce out on a nightclub circuit. We're talking about the massively salaried hand of a media corporation. 

3. Have you ever seen what happens to "real journalists" who actually DO cause "real problems" for those in power? It ain't pretty. It ain't $30M contracts and penthouses in NY. It's destruction, hounding to the ends of the earth, prosecution, persecution, and yes, even death. No, none of that for JS. He's a total lightweight in the class with Dave Letterman or Conhead Obrian. Politically irrelevant. A piece of fluff that impresses millenials who are generally clueless about such matters. 

That's my take on JS. It has nothing to do with you or your comments. So, I'd say, don't reply by attacking ME....reply by showing what's so impressive politically about Jon Stewart?. Make a case for his importance. Have some fun! LOL

I didn't attempt to insult you, you'd know it if I did. I would leave no doubt. 

Being acquaintances with Jamie Jones and Sam Bee (both Canadian and from the same Toronto comedy scene I grew up in) and had many conversations with Lewis Black, last one 3 weeks ago,  I'm well aware of Jon Stewarts moral compass which drove his decisions.

Like I said earlier, I have been on the inside looking out for many years. It's a different perspective. I'm not silly enough to even attempt trying to change the way you perceive things coming out of your tv.

Back to the music......

Like I said earlier, I have been on the inside looking out for many years. It's a different perspective. I'm not silly enough to even attempt trying to change the way you perceive things coming out of your tv.

I have been on the outside looking in for decades and I have come to that conclusion as well. Of course, the folks he is talking about go on there to sell there book, but it's up to the viewer to form an opinion on what is being said...

Honestly, for those that don't follow global issues it would do them well to purchase their books and not form an opinion by what they see in the Media. Reading is an excellent activity and more people should do it. Insofar as Rumsfeld's book is concerned--Here, let me give it a shout-out: http://www.amazon.com/Rumsfeld-Rise-Fall-Catastrophic-Legacy/dp/1416535764 It can be purchased for a penny used and less than $3 new! B)

(EDIT: and regardless what you pay for it, proceeds go to a Veterans charily and was my original rebuttal to the OP's premise}

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

I guess the case for JS political importance is pretty weak.lol!

2. The proceeds going to a charity doesn't rebut anything I said. "Selling books" is what was important, not where the proceeds went. Rummy,s publisher wanted more exposure and more sales and they do that by going on "book tours" to get obligated salespeople, like talk show hosts, TV hosts (Stewart), and other celebs to pump the book. Whatever book, by whatever author gets booked on the show. What's important to understand is that these are not critical reviews. You can't say, "I didn't like the book." It's just pimping, plain and simple with no principle involved. When you are a hand for such a media company, that's your obligation to get your paycheck.

Opinions are like assholes...everyone thinks it's just their own that doesn't stink. ;)

"I lost a lot of sleep on that one. He didn't!"

Not a sentence a corporate ***** you're claiming him to be would say being upset he didn't force elaboration from Rumsfeld.

You really need to cherrypick with a little more thought,  to fit your narrative of a corporate shill and lackey. 

First of all, Why are you attenpting to insult me? LOL - - Show the case for JS if he is so great! LOL...he's the subject here, not me! LOL!!!

Here's the listing for today's "CBS Sunday Morning." Notice the box titled, "I despise interviewing Politicians." ??? That interview aired this morning, August 9, 2015. Apparently, you didn't see it. But I did. 

That interview REaired Aug 9, 2015, your right I didn't see it re-aired Aug 9, 2015. I saw the full interview which aired Nov, 2014.

1. Rumsfeld put him in his place when face to face, and JS went submissive to the authority, That can not be denied. Just watch the original. He defers to all these authoritarian figures when face to face. Behind their backs he slings insults. There's no cherry picking. That's his persona for as long as he has been in public as an entertainer. In the old days, we referred to guys like that as "cheap shot artists." 

You call it 'submissive', a submissive interviewer would not later confess that  he regrets not going further and attempt to get past the stone walling of a well guarded ex politician. The interview process is  under time restraints (for corporate reasons ie advertising money) and he couldn't dig deeper for that reason. He looked resigned that Rumsfeld was going to deflect away from all direct questions. If he did it to "all these authoritarian figures when face to face" why does he admit to regretting it? It would have blended in to all other interviews, yet he didn't waver when recalling it instantly in the interview.

How is Rumsfeld at the time of interview an authoritarian over Stewart by the way? He was a private citizen. I'll cherry pick his interview with active politician, Health and Human services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and the mockery he made of her attempt to defend Obamacare. How come he didn't capitulate to her? Only because she didn't have a book to shill and/or Viacomm insisted he attack her? Instead of deflecting, she attempted to answer honestly and got caught by a well prepared interviewer. Rice did an admirable job in her interview to demostrate the reality of the situation the goverment was in, believing the lies. Only time she struggled was when she couldn't lie or deflect away on how the Govt presented the facts for the necessity for war.

Tough to go "behind their backs" when ALL his negative comments about them are broadcasted nightly to millions. That's called a "Satirist' which by definition means to mock<<< or sling insults as you describe it. In the old days we referred to guys like that as "Satirists" eg Lenny Bruce who did it for 30 or 300 bucks instead of 30 million (pro rate for audience size and inflation). Both changed the mindsets and perceptions of the majority of Americans of their respective times towards the political process<<<< that can't be denied as well. But I'm certain you will, either through denial, delusion or dishonesty.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10/08/kathleen-sibelius-s-daily-show-disaster-jon-stewart-slams-obamacare-rules.html

2. He is helping all those figures he pretends are adversaries by pimping their books, giving them a platform to sell their ideas. How can that be anything else but a corporate lackey of the Comedy Central corporation? Does CC operate any different than FOX? Why they would pay him $30M? You know, we aren't talking about Lenny Bruce out on a nightclub circuit. We're talking about the massively salaried hand of a media corporation. 

People who pretend don't keep up the facade 24/7 (Please tell me you know Stephen Colbert is a mocking characterization). 

His adversaries allowed him to interview them and get tough questions thrown at them (without a pre agreement on questions) only to get their books publicity, it was not Stewarts primary motivation, it was an necessary evil to have the opportunity to confront. As Al Sharpton stated in the MNBC recent documentary on Stewart "he became unavoidable" due to the Americans perceived importance of the platform Stewart allowed them. I believe the majority of americans are centrists or left leaning in their thought processes. I could be wrong, I don't watch Fox broadcasts. 

The programming of both subsidiaries, Fox news and Comedy central have vast differences in their content. One is regurgitate a linear thought process of reality and one is to disseminate and mock reality. I understand your thought process of conglomerations, but what would happen at each corporation if an employee went against corporate policies? Fox fires, CC rewards <remember the 30 million you mentioned, and also the 70 million he declined to renew and walk away from, not pushed away.(reported as 50 but was really 70). 

3. Have you ever seen what happens to "real journalists" who actually DO cause "real problems" for those in power? It ain't pretty. It ain't $30M contracts and penthouses in NY. It's destruction, hounding to the ends of the earth, prosecution, persecution, and yes, even death. No, none of that for JS. He's a total lightweight in the class with Dave Letterman or Conhead Obrian. Politically irrelevant. A piece of fluff that impresses millenials who are generally clueless about such matters. 

I have personally witnessed the devastation to a family of a journalist who went against the political rhetoric at the time. My friend Declan McAnthonys father was assassinated in the streets on Dublin over his articles against the IRA. It destroyed their family for years.

Stewart is the first person to admit he is not a journalist by the way. I like how you use Letterman and O'brien as examples. History is already disproving your point. Remember the "Rally to restore sanity and or Fear?" I don't recall any other satirist ( Letterman and O'brien included) attempting something as bold as that, or a true journalist who would even attempt it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_to_Restore_Sanity_and/or_Fear

That's my take on JS. It has nothing to do with you or your comments. So, I'd say, don't reply by attacking ME....reply by showing what's so impressive politically about Jon Stewart?. Make a case for his importance. Have some fun! LOL

I was bored waiting for a package to arrive.

Sound bites and cherry picking information is how millennials are impressed in todays social media frenzy. Obamas election, the re-election seems to me that the millennials are waking up and getting a clue, in large part by the exposure of hyprocracy by the Daily show which it's vision was solely Stewarts in how it was exposed, not dictated at the corporate level (even though their pockets got lined regardless)

If they still didn't have a clue then I could see a chance for a Republican to get even a sniff of the the White house with the old school mind set. Let's see how it unfolds

Is John Oliver over at HBO considered a corporate shill of HBO with his scathing satirical views, he goes after nothing but big corporations and hypocracy including his employers. He doesn't have guest shilling books, is he considered a "cheap shot artist" because of that difference as well?

Having fun....back to the music. 

Edited by ajoker2c

Just try to imagine Carlin standing up in public and selling a new book by Bill Bennett. Nope.

I agree completely. But it's also a false equivalency. I also would never imagine Carlin going against his well established principles and agree to do a daily reflection of the absurdity of current events. He was too much a perfectionist and wordsmith to pull that off nightly. It takes months to years to write an hour of quality satirical material, that was the genius of Carlin, not to satirize daily events. 

Did you see him with the WH leaders of the 2001 to 2008 era? The people he was pretending to skewer with his humor? He sold more books for those people than Barnes and Noble!!! Lol he was making them rich as he pretended to poke fun at them. It's a book sales show. You know that, right?...

The Amazon site notes that proceeds from the book go to the military charities supported by the Rumsfeld Foundation. - See more at: http://www.dailyshowbooklist.com/books/page/2/#sthash.5ejMCDcx.dpuf

http://www.dailyshowbooklist.com/books/page/2/

There's no book by any of his pretend adversaries that he wouldn't pitch.

Okay--If that's your proof I will let others judge, but if that is all ya got then I suggest your link pretty much proves the opposite of your contention...Like I said, no doubt he sells books, but given Rumsfeld's proceeds went to charity (and did you see that interview?) and the others definitely weren't "WH leaders," during the time period you suggest I think your argument is going to fall short--WAY short.

2. The proceeds going to a charity doesn't rebut anything I said. "Selling books" is what was important, not where the proceeds went.

I have no desire to keep rehashing this given it is your opinion, but I stand by what I've written on this thread and Rummy didn't get rich by john pimping his book to get the interview...My guess is it didn't contribute to one iota of sales and if it did, I suggest reading his book would be way more beneficial than ranting about it online...Like him or hate him, Donald Rumsfeld played a major part in the decision to invade Iraq and reading his book will give one a more informed opinion than just watching the Daily Show or Fox News.

My last 2 cents (which btw, means you could by 2 copies of Rumsfeld's book ;)) on this subject.

But I'm certain you will, either through denial, delusion or dishonesty.

See? That's an example of insulting me, in place of making a case about Stewart. I am not the SUBJECT. Hard to understand? I just was having some fun with a subject out there. You want to make it about me....sorry pal, not interested. LOL!! 

• Like 1