Speaker wire for RF-7?

KlipschManiac

Hi guys:

I just had an idea, does speaker wire make a difference on the RF-7s? I'm currently using Schoshe (sp?) 16g. car speaker wire I had left over from a car system. It seems to be shielded well, and hear no noise, but would a name brand home audio wire sound better? Is there a brand of wire that sounds "warm", something that cuts the brightness of the Rf-7's. Maybe I'm adding brightness to my speakers with the car audio wire? Anyone have a recommendation for certain brands of wire? Monster? Thank you for your time. Love to hear if I'm doing my wiring all wrong, I seem to to off-the-wall stuff like this like a newbie.

Scott

I am not prepared to debate this issue a lot as my flameproofing gear is down at the moment but I would suggest that at the least you replace the 16 guage with 14 guage or 12 guage. Beyond that I will not add anything as I am busy shaving my beard applying for 6 new ID's and ,(hopefully), bomb proofing the daycare centre used by all 3 of my girlfriends. My experience has suggested that this a somewhat dodgy subject on this forum.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Lynnnnmmmnnnmm....

CHICKEN!...Hmmm cant find the "chicken looking smiley"

And isn't it one of the forum by-laws that states....and I quote

"Any forum member that chooses to discuss interconnects, speaker wire gauge, roller blocks, magical CD markers and mats, quartz crystals, or other un-measurable esoteric qualities of either 2 channel or home theater must be the primary owner of the following , as a minimum:

Class 5, Super N-th degree asbestos suit, inclusive of a federally rated Ozone capable re-breather transport system, Underwater/aqualung capability to 20000feet.. Wooden Mallet super-protection (aka- bouncy brain) Double -density sense of humor with re-enforced satire exposure unit..

Hello,

Combatting brightness from the RF7s is not an easy task.

It's kinda like trying to get a fish to swim slower.

The RF7s are designed to bring out every detail They are by no means a "laid back" speaker.

Your probably not going to find a speaker cable that is going to "soften" the sound up.

If anything they might get "brighter". IMO.

I do suggest the same as Lynnm, upgrade to larger gauge wire. The guage your using is a bit small for the RF7s.

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. Try a different reciever.

Different recievers can have totally different sound qualities. Some have very detailed and defined sound (Denon), others have a smoother, softer, more musical sound (B&K).

No type of speaker wire is going to change that.

Finding a reciever that complements your personal listening taste is crucial.

2. Experiment with room placement.

Often times putting a speaker deep into a corner with help boost bass response.

Also, try different levels of "toe in".

3. Your room acoustics has a great affect on the overall sound.

You could try to "deaden" your room up a bit.

Using throw rugs, drapes, wall hangings, and overstuffed furniture are common methods.

These items will absorb high frquencies to a certain degree.

There are products on the market designed to absorb high frequencies.

Sonex and Owens Corning are a couple of companies to look at. You can also find plans to build your own absorbers. Maybe someone here can offer the plans to you. I don't have them.

All in all the RF7s can be tamed but I don't believe speaker cable is the solution here.

Room tuning and source selection are really the key.

Good luck.

P.S. You could always tape a piece of kleenex over the horn. Ha Ha Ha......

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Im sorry AR. I just cant agree with you on this one. Ill bet the ranch that no matter what size or brand of wire you use and hook it up to a fish that theres just no way that sucker is gonna cross the finish line first. And that tissue idea sounds paper thin to me. What gauge Kleenex are we talking about here ? And Lynnm, if you have any flaming problems I can get you a deal on a indoor sunken living room model of a Hubbard Tank . Of course it would come with a fish or no fish option. No wires attached. They really work. I was dunked in one for months. No joke. Also Cluless is absolutely correct about the gear she listed. I can get you a sweet deal on the mallets with interchangeable heads at rock Smash.gif busting savings so we can pass the cost of living on to you. Thats why, ladies and gentlemen , our prices are Insaaaaaaaaaaaaaane ! Along with other things. He he he. So just drop me a 100lb test line and youre sure to come with the catch of the day.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Thanks guys for the ideas. I put the Rf7s in the corners of the room at a 45 deg. angle, about 2 feet out, and 18 feet from each other. This helped with the bass repsonse alot, but maybe too much toe in. I 'll have to keep experimenting. Anyways, it's not that I don't like the "brightness", it's that it's hard to match the volume of the midbass and bass to that of the horns with my Integra 6.2, so I'm trying to dampen the volume of the horns. Tone controls help some, but not alot. I have the bass cranked full boost, and cut the treble back 1/4 turn from flat. More than that and everything starts to sound muffled. I love to listen to DVD-A as much as HT, so I assume I need to go to a power amp someday. Again, thank you. I would love to hear wether I should ditch the car audio wire though.

Scott

Don't ditch the car speaker wire, just make sure you use a large enough guage.

Keep experimenting with placement.

Have fun with it.

Enjoy your system.

BBB, that's funny.

Everybody kinda funny,

Now you funny too...

So that would be a trilene 12ga monofiliment (50lb test)

and a 22ga Kleenex w/ aloe vera.(to soften the sound up a bit).

BTW. How much for one of them suits?

Do they come with overdraft protection? LOL.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

This message has been edited by Audioreality on 08-18-2002 at 11:47 PM