Opinion: Harman Kardon AVR-500 ? With Klipsch Legend speakers?

bek

Anyone familiar with the HK AVR-500 receiver? I have had it about 6 months, and like it, but I'm no audio expert. I'm wondering how it ranks with all the receivers out there. It's not a $3000 receiver, so I don't expect it to the the absolute best, but I'm hoping it's considered one of the better receiver. The sound, from a non-audiophile perspective, sounds very good.

In addition, what are the opinions about how it sounds with the KLF-30 and KLF-C7 speakers? I think it's great, but I'm thinking it may be a little underpowered for these monster speakers.

Thanks for any and all info...

-Brian

Well bek, I have the H/K 520 and run it with the Legend Series speakers and think it sounds great!! I just recently moved from England back to the states and haven't hooked up my Acurus amps that I was using before, because i'm waiting to do some inwall wireing for my surrounds. Anyway without the amps hooked up to my 520 i think it still sounds great with the legends.

Craig

That's great to hear, Craig. It sure seems to sound good to me, and I've got a friend that's sort of an "audio guy" and he says it's great as well. I just wanted to see how others felt about it, especially since you guys are pretty experienced in the audio area. Smile.gif

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

I have the AVR 500 too and as far as sound goes, I am extremely pleased. I have Heresys and JBL 4638 across the front, 2 more Heresys in the back. I have had a couple of annoying problems with the HK however, and after some internet searching discovered that I wasnt alone. Specifically, the HK will occasionally change its volume setting spontaneously!! It has also just shut off for no reason (was playing at very low volume). Finally, and I am really not sure if this is the fault of the HK or not but I cant get DTS to work properly on DVDs that feature it. I have taken it to an authorized HK repair facility and they said that none of the problems I described surfaced in 3+ hours of testing. Oops, did I get off topic there?? Sorry about that, just got a little frustrated thinking back to this whole experience.

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

IMHO-HK and Klipsch are a great marriage!! Until I got my Rotel RMB 1095 amp,I was using my HK AVR-80 to power my KLF 30's. They sounded awesome!! With Klipsch's efficent speakers and HK's quality power, you can't go wrong!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KLF 30

Rears: KG 5.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three