Thought I'd listen to Solid State for a while

richieb

With two nice single ended tube integrated's and a SS/tube hybrid I haad been biting the bit for another taste of Class A SS. I fondly remenbered the clean, transperent and controlled sound of Class A solid state. To that end I recently picked up a pair of Forte Audio Model 7, 75 watt Class A monoblocks and a First Watt B1 buffered dual pot volume control. Forte was a division of Threshold and First Watt is a Nelson Pass company. Of course Threshold (Forte) was Nelson's baby also. The Khorns are clean, crisp, open with crystal highs and deep, controlled bass. A more detailed presentation than my SE tubes yet no listening fatigue. The B1 really lets the details show through. And in monoblock configuration the sound stage is enormous side to side. So far so good.

post-12470-0-07620000-1447032928_thumb.j

post-12470-0-29940000-1447032964_thumb.j

post-12470-0-85220000-1447032989_thumb.j

• Like 2

Wdecho

The only fault I find with the B1 in my system is there seems to be too much gain, although the B1 doesn't actually provide gain. I have very little sweep on the volume pots, it comes on very strong very early, but the detail it provides is incredible. This is a CD only system.

I plan to ask NP a solution to this; with my limited knowledge on such things I think it might take different pots that have a lower or higher Kohm spec?

I do have a tube pre laying around which I may try but have no doubt the openness and detail will be affected.

• Like 1