Solid State

Solid-state ONLY posts here please. Keep that tube stuff to that "other" subforum. ;-)

65 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 87 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 175 replies
    • 46 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 239 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 48 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 29 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 18 replies
    • 62 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 11 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 2 replies
  • Recent Posts

• In terms of out-of-the-box fidelity of bought music (i.e., not transferred by a consumer into another format), that's pretty clear, and in order of appearance on this list: DVD-Audio (DVD-A) comes in first in terms of fidelity (5-channel, stereo) SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc)-stereo or 5-channel "hybrid multichannel" format. HD-Tracks ("Hi-Rez") downloads are usually cleaned up and free of noise, but suffer from the same loudness war practices described below in CDs.  You'll need a computer with reasonable sound card or solid state music player to play these.  These can be of the highest quality, or they can be low quality--like the original recording made decades ago. CDs (including "HDCD" encoded ones) usually come in a distant third but not because of the format, but because of the mastering EQ and other signal compression techniques used to make them sound louder (literally they sound loud relative to uncompressed music CDs). Same story for the original recording quality controlling fidelity. Reel-to-reel (RTR) tapes (analog) are just below CDs in terms of fidelity and noise, but usually above CDs in terms of freedom from mastering compression and EQ-due to their age when mastering pracitces were far less invasive. A distant fifth goes to vinyl in terms of fidelity to the master recording (i.e., however it was compressed and distorted by EQ).  However, since vinyl has much less latitude than any of the other formats, the techniques used to make the music sound louder on CDs cannot be used to the restricted latitude that is available on vinyl, so you usually wind up with the highest dynamic range on vinyl (some of which is artificially higher than CD due to transfer losses).  So a lot of people go for vinyl to minimize the loudness war practices if they just want to play their music without trying to restore the music to rid themselves of abusive mastering practices.  Pops, ticks, wow, flutter, rumble, and...drum roll, please...modulation distortion by the bucket loads are all your friends if you prefer vinyl, but phonograph records can be enjoyable if you prefer certain music genres that don't exposed the format's limitations (via a psychoacoustic phenomenon known as "masking"). All on-line streaming services are typically audibly below vinyl in terms of fidelity (IMO), unless they are stream lossless--which is almost non-existent to find nowadays.  Most of these formats are based on the "AAC" compressed format, some on MP3, and some on proprietary formats--like Apple uses. Last and least, the old cassette formats that still exist.  Avoid unless there is no other choice. Chris
    • what do you have to offer?
    • They're easy to build.  All you need is a couple parts from Bob and some caps of your choosing.  Oh, you'll need a couple barrier strips and pieces of wood as well.
    • I believe you. Hopefully next week they'll be paired up with a pair of Dynaco MKIII's that I purchased recently. Seems like a dream match that will keep me smiling a bit longer.
    •       Yes $750.   They sound great. I haven't checked, but the seller claims they might been modded by the last owner 10 years ago. Certainly not experiencing anything close to the rolled off sound described with drifting caps.    Here's one without the grilles:      
    • @Schu I actually just sold my RC64II and use the la scalas without it until I can find an appropriate heritage center. I swear it sounds like there is a center channel there. The way the La Scalas image and the way my Pioneer Elite SC-68 has corrected for the lack of center is amazing. 
    • You need a quality DAY to begin with OP... preferably one with dual dac chips. Your system is a capable one fir sure.
    • I Good Thursday morning.   Enjoying a cup of Sam's Club Colombian.   Fortunately, the coffee is quite good.  I took a chance buying a large bag of whole bean coffee without sampling it first.     Drat.  Just noticed the screen is cracked on my heritage iPad.  Must have loaded too much coal.  Still works for now.  Luckily I recently won an iPad at a business meeting.