RC-64II Driver Replacement

antwone

Thanks everyone! Yea it is bugging me a lot after knowing there are two dimples on my new purchase. But I guess I got no other options as it might be not considered as defective?

I hate to say it but this is probably going to happen again in the future. If you even look at those cones funny they sprout a dimple. I personally wouldn't consider it to be defective at all but can certainly understand wanting a new and expensive item to be absolutely flawless in every way. I baby my stuff like crazy and have one on one of my 10's.

I agree, even though I hate this type of thing most in the world, it is still gonna come lots of time in my life. I just replaced that driver with the one seller sent to me, the new driver has the same model and it's a perfect fit. But the date this new driver was manufactured is in 2013, 2 years earlier than the drivers on my speaker (2015). And it also has slightly darker bronze color on the dust cap. Do you think different year make drivers can work together perfectly like a new speaker?

If the same part number, then it should work perfectly.  Now if the color shade difference will drive you more nuts than the dimples, then switch it back.

Bill

Thanks everyone! Yea it is bugging me a lot after knowing there are two dimples on my new purchase. But I guess I got no other options as it might be not considered as defective?

I hate to say it but this is probably going to happen again in the future. If you even look at those cones funny they sprout a dimple. I personally wouldn't consider it to be defective at all but can certainly understand wanting a new and expensive item to be absolutely flawless in every way. I baby my stuff like crazy and have one on one of my 10's.

I agree, even though I hate this type of thing most in the world, it is still gonna come lots of time in my life. I just replaced that driver with the one seller sent to me, the new driver has the same model and it's a perfect fit. But the date this new driver was manufactured is in 2013, 2 years earlier than the drivers on my speaker (2015). And it also has slightly darker bronze color on the dust cap. Do you think different year make drivers can work together perfectly like a new speaker?

If the same part number, then it should work perfectly.  Now if the color shade difference will drive you more nuts than the dimples, then switch it back.

Bill

The color shade doesn't really bother me, if 2 year earlier part work with others like perfect. I am happy with that :-)

With time, they will all approach the same color due to fading. :)

I found these woofers rarely move, but almost all the sound is from tweeter. That because center only handle dialogue probably?

My RC-64 gets a huge workout with movies and not with just dialog.  Many movie effects are funneled through the center channel.

Bill

With time, they will all approach the same color due to fading. :)

I found these woofers rarely move, but almost all the sound is from tweeter. That because center only handle dialogue probably?

My RC-64 gets a huge workout with movies and not with just dialog. Many movie effects are funneled through the center channel.

Bill

Maybe the movie I watched is too gentle on mid low frequency, try something else later. But for Rf7 system, do you think we need extra amp? I'm running with HK 1710, bought many years ago, didn't think of upgrading at that time

• Moderators

That is typical of the Reference Series.  They do not move a ton...even my RF-7's being driven by 200 wpc.

Maybe the movie I watched is too gentle on mid low frequency, try something else later.

If you are expecting them to move in and out 2" - 3" you might be disappointed.  Sit back and enjoy them...or you are going to make yourself sick thinking something is wrong with them. 

But for Rf7 system, do you think we need extra amp?

"Need"....no...."Benefit"....yes..."Night and Day"....no...."Good Idea"...yes.....confused yet? 

But for Rf7 system, do you think we need extra amp? I'm running with HK 1710, bought many years ago, didn't think of upgrading at that time

If your room is 9' x 9' and you don't like your movies loud, I say you would not "need" an outboard amp.

If larger and loud, absolutely.  I am all for outboard amplification for Klipsch Reference systems especially in a high volume room.  Dynamics, headroom, dynamics, headroom.

I personally will never go back to just an AVR in my current room.  Bedroom setup, fine without, but 5600ft3 family room/kitchen/kitchen nook, no way.

Bill 

But for Rf7 system, do you think we need extra amp? I'm running with HK 1710, bought many years ago, didn't think of upgrading at that time

If your room is 9' x 9' and you don't like your movies loud, I say you would not "need" an outboard amp.

If larger and loud, absolutely. I am all for outboard amplification for Klipsch Reference systems especially in a high volume room. Dynamics, headroom, dynamics, headroom.

I personally will never go back to just an AVR in my current room. Bedroom setup, fine without, but 5600ft3 family room/kitchen/kitchen nook, no way.

Bill

Haha, my room is the one with kitchen and all the hight ceiling hallway, kind of large and irregular. I usually don't like loud, but wanna have dynamic and more headroom feeling. Which amp you are using for your system?

Haha, my room is the one with kitchen and all the hight ceiling hallway, kind of large and irregular. I usually don't like loud, but wanna have dynamic and more headroom feeling.

IMO, dynamics/headroom in a large room does "need" some quality amplification.

Which amp you are using for your system?

I am driving my front soundstage and surrounds with an Acurus A200/A200x3 combo.

Bill 

• Moderators
I personally will never go back to just an AVR in my current room.

I've owned 3 different amps for my HT....Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5), then a B&K 700.2 (200 x 7) and then a Sherbourn (200 x 7).  They all sounded great (didn't hear any difference between the three amps).  They made a difference with my previous RF-83 / RC-64 but I did not hear a difference once I upgraded my fronts to LaScalas.  They are just ridiculously efficient and my ears will give out before the receiver reaches it's peak.  Plus the LaScalas do not dig near as deep as the RF-83's did.