Used LaScala Question

Jbruno

I have seen a set of LaScalas with the handles on them.  Are they a plus or a minus on value?  My thinking is that if they have handles, they were transported, and probably on a regular basis.  Meaning they were probably owned by a DJ or music service and probably pushed on a regular basis. 

If looking at a set that is for sale, what should I look for to indicate they are in good shape beyond the physical appearance?  Beyond listening, are there any tell-tale signs one should look for when checking out used, older speakers?

Thanks

They might have the more heavy duty K43 woofer in them rather than the standard K33.  The tradeoff as I understand is, the K33 will dig a bit deeper but, is only rated to 100 watts (which is plenty)  The K43 I think goes 200 watts.

Regarding being a plus/minus...  I bought my LaScalas in 1979 while I was a teenager.  A poor one.

I wanted the handles for nothing else than it makes them easier to carry.

I didn't buy them.  I had to buy the LaScalas as inexpensive as I could to afford them.  My only point is, handles by themselves are (in my opinion) neither a positive nor negative.  Might be worth pulling the bottom cover off and knowing what woofer is in there.