Phono preamp

Loudogp250

I recently purchased a Cambridge Audio Azur 551r to replace a Integra dtr 6.8. although the Cambridge lacks room correction home theater has been awesome. I hear details that were missing with the Integra. Since I have had such a great experience with Cambridge I am considering a Cambridge phono preamp, the 551p or 651p. My turntable is a Orbit by U-turn. Has anyone  compared the 551p and the 651p? Any other suggestions in the same amp range?​

They are basically the same pre amp, the only difference is the 651 has a switch for both MM/MC carts. I have been very happy with mine as they have no hum whatsoever and are extremely quiet.

You can get a refurbed 551 for $99.00 with warranty, and a 651 for $169.00 refurbed with warranty. I am contemplating getting the 651 now as I am looking to try out different MC carts.

I use 2 51's with my Dual 1229Q, Dual 701 turntables and use 4 different cartridges between them to play around with different music types and all play exceptionally well for the price range.

• Like 1

I too thought that the intergra lacks something with the phono input.  I thought about trying a phono pre into one of the line ins.

When I first got my table after getting back into vinyl, I was using my Yamaha RX-A2020 and felt it lacking, then I bought the phono pre and it opened up and sounded a lot better, then added in a tube amp, and it got even better. Now I run a separate 2 channel set up altogether from the AVR.

You won't be disappointed in an external phono pre set up either way.

• Like 1

I too thought that the intergra lacks something with the phono input.  I thought about trying a phono pre into one of the line ins.

When I first got my table after getting back into vinyl, I was using my Yamaha RX-A2020 and felt it lacking, then I bought the phono pre and it opened up and sounded a lot better, then added in a tube amp, and it got even better. Now I run a separate 2 channel set up altogether from the AVR.

You won't be disappointed in an external phono pre set up either way.

I do run a tt into my H.H. Scott, it sounds wonderful on its own.  I used to use a the current table I use on the Integra on a tube pre amp and it sounded great.  It seemed to be a mistake to give that up for the Integra, however I do need a home theater receiver.  I was looking at the Firstwatt Pearl II.

I do run a tt into my H.H. Scott, it sounds wonderful on its own

I was trying to get one, and it turned out to be more of a pain than it was worth for the wait time to get it redone, so I use a Yaqin MC-10L Integrated, Maynard's 7 WPC SEP, and a soon to be SET again. Depending on my mood for music and volumes or critical listening, I like switching back and forth on them.

Now if I could find a Scott, Fisher, I'd do one of those.

• Like 1