Does Tolerance Matter In Crossover Capacitors

thebes

Also, higher voltage caps tend to have less dielectric losses (the mechanisms for loss are typically the same mechanisms for voltage derating). Dielectric loss is bad because it "can" cause distortion....how much depends on the topology of the circuit, the type of cap, the voltage present, yadda yadda *yawn*.

I appreciate the detailed response my good Doctor.  Always a learning experience when you post. Especially your last two points.  Given the circuit was probably designed by PKW, we can probably expect that the design factors were done right.  Then consider, the fact that  thirty years on, in the mid-8o's, when this particular set of speakers  were built, they were still using over speced caps. That certainly says something about Klipsch build philosophy.

Sorry to hear Dean that the cost of the new Jensens were so prohibitive. I betcha they sounded great. It's got to be either because of the costs of small production runs or outright greed on the manufactures part. Or both.

Right, smaller production runs, part of the build is by hand, they come from Europe, and of course the normal mark-up for the voodoo bullshit. However, they do work very well in the simple filters.

I started with them, stopped using them, and then went back to them - along with the Jupiters.

Most everyone now believe that it doesn't really matter what parts you use (because it all sounds the same), and the only thing that matters is cost. High cost is reserved for complexity of build and high part counts.