Small room surrounds: single vs array?

efzauner

ZT -- I apologize.

Worry not.  No issues there but "who said what?". Nothing to apologize for.

I did NOT intend to make it come across as it did, that I was replying to your post. I'm too new to even pretend I can be sure enough to tell you what you should think. I was honestly just excited to see someone use a study to show speaker positions and what the subjective response was. There's no doubt it's only the beginning and the other factors not only influence but can completely change what should be chosen.

I believe that you got the message that was embedded in that figure, which is nice to see...at least from my knothole. 

This subject seems to be full of hard-and-fast "do this...don't do that" commandments on these type of forums by those that actually have very limited experience, but the truth is that it's just more complicated than simply buying a bunch speakers from Klipsch (that may or may not be appropriate for your room--many of which I find are not appropriate for surrounds) and attaching them to the wall wherever you want--at least if you're trying to achieve good surround sound performance. I see a lot of "follow the leader" thinking without understanding the principles involved. 

I do recommend Toole's book for further reading on this and other loudspeaker and room related subjects: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_l73GVBBlIUYjIwZGI3ZWItYmJlZC00NmM0LWFiMGUtNTcyMWY4MTUxYmM4/edit?pli=1

Chris

This subject seems to be full of hard-and-fast "do this...don't do that" commandments on these type of forums by those that actually have very limited experience, but the truth is that it's just more complicated than simply buying a bunch speakers from Klipsch (that may or may not be appropriate for your room--many of which I find are not appropriate for surrounds) and attaching them to the wall wherever you want--at least if you're trying to achieve good surround sound performance. I see a lot of "follow the leader" thinking without understanding the principles involved.

For the record, I accepted his apology and am not one of the people that you seem to be describing above.