RP-140SA

ajgale1975

Just purchased some new up firing speakers connected to my Denon 4200W. Have watched a few movies with Atnos/DTS:X bit this far I'm unimpressed. I am having a hard time discerning any sounds coming from above. My room is not exactly a home theater room as my current setup resides in my living room which also opens into my dining room. My ceilings are drywall 8" ceilings. I am getting test tones out of the speakers so I know they are functioning properly. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

If you are connected to a system where you can access youtube.com, search for Dolby Insider (because their quality is higher than others).  Select Amaze and Leaf and listen to see if you hear the height channels.  If you hear the demos but can't tell if you hear the Atmos, I'm guessing it's the room.  Make sure you are sitting in the sweet spot.  Report back and someone else with qualifications can likely take you in the right direction. 

Two of these won't be very impressive, in my opinion you pretty much have to run four unless maybe your positioning is perfect.  Two actual ceiling speakers are way more aggressive and obvious.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 1 month later...

I know the RP-140SA's can be wall-mounted and used as rear or side surrounds, but can they be wall mounted up high and used as rear or side down-firing height (ATMOS) speakers? I am currently running a 5.1.2 system (two Polk towers up front, a Polk center, two Polk side surrounds on stands, a Klipsch subwoofer, and two Elac upfiring ATMOS speakers on top of my front Polk towers), want to add the RP-140SA's as rear ATMOS speakers but they're too big to sit atop my side surrounds. My AVR is a Marantz SR-7010, which can handle it all. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yes they can be assigned and used as "height" Atmos channels as described in Dolby literature. I have not tested them in this manner. If you are having issues using them as standard Dolby enabled speakers, you should experiment with the placement. There is latitude in the position of them. They can be within a few feet, up down, left, right of the main speaker channels. I have heard them in multiple rooms, in different positions and they flat out work.