Pristine Cornwalls for Sale

triceratops

Greetings--

I have to apologize for not contributing more to the list. After reading all the posts of interest, there doesn't seem to be time to add anything!

Since I last posted, I have accumulated more Klipsch speakers. I now have three pairs of Cornwalls (1968, 1977, 1985) one pair of Belles (1977) and one pair of KG-4s. Thanks to advice from Mobile, Colin, and others a few months back, I have purchased my first audio tube amp, an Eico HF-81 (in fine shape from Roger Russell).

Anyway, I'm going to start thinning out the speakers (at 1600 sq ft, it's not that big a house!) and the first on the block are arguably the cleanest and possibly the best sounding: the 1985 Cornwalls. The reason I'm letting these go first is the finish is oiled oak and my wife prefers darker woods (the others are all walnut) with our teak furniture. Who am I to argue? She is amazingly cool about all the speakers around here...

Info on the 1985 Cornwalls for sale:

Matched pair, oiled oak with black grills, showroom condition. I bought these in March from the original owner and list member David Horn of Ashland, Oregon after David listed them for sale on this site. David sold his house and retired to live in a motorhome and see the country. The speakers have only been moved twice (once by David, and once by me up here to Eugene, Oregon). There are almost no blemishes of any kind. From appearance or sound these appear basically as new speakers.

The s/n's are 8538773 and 8538774. The cabinets are lumber core Cornwall I style, with rear mounted drivers and the cabinet backs have never been off. Another BB member posted info on Cornwalls with very close serial numbers to these (8537951 and 8537952) as having B3 crossover, K33E woofer, K57K midrange, and K77 tweeter. I assume these have the same components.

I paid David $800 for the speakers and am willing to offer them to Klipsch BB members at that price if they are able to arrange pick-up in Eugene, Oregon. If I need to transport or ship them, the price will be higher--details to be worked out. I do get around a bit in Oregon (Bend, Medford, Portland, etc) so those locations would be pretty easy transport.

If no one in this group is interested, these will probably go on e-bay this weekend. I'm not expecting to sell them here (I note that Colin's are now on e-bay) I'm just letting everyone know as a courtesy before offering them to the general public.

I can post jpegs if anyone would like, or e-mail them off-list. I can also be reached off-list at: pieboy@att.net

Thanks in advance for any interest.

Best regards,

triceratops

How is your HF-81 doing? I was hoping you got a good example.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Hi Mobile,

The HF-81 is great! The unit looks to be factory wired and is in fantastic condition. I've only had it a few weeks, and it had been sitting for a little while, so I brought up the voltage slowly with a Variac and bought a small fan to help with cooling.

I haven't done anything to it: the tubes were good, the pots were clean, and it sounds great. The power tubes are made in England, but I don't see an obvious maker's name. The preamp tubes are Japanese-made Westinghouse. Also I really appreciated buying from someone as conscientious and helpful as Roger Russell. Came with a manual, too.

I think you can still see a picture at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d11?ViewItem&item=1366767261

Even though it sounds great, I guess I should get on to replacing the capacitors for safety's sake. I've been checking out your Eico website and may ask for some more guidance about the most important upgrades. Thanks again for all your help! Any further word on a possible Consonance kit with multiple inputs?

Thanks again for all your help,

triceratops

• 1 month later...

I didn't get any inquiries from list members about these but I thought I'd let y'all know they are now on eBay. Here is the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1386600522

Let me know if any of you have any questions.

Kelly-If you're reading this, I've taken photos of my Eico and will be sending them soon. Sorry for the long delay!

Best to All,

Triceratops