Audyssey vs Audyssey flat...thoughts, tips?

RoboKlipsch

I've run a calibration tool before but never Audyssey.  I just got a used Denon with XT, ran it, and thought it came back very muted on the high end.  I read a bit and saw they have a roll-off on the top end, and if you don't like it, use Audyssey flat which is the same without the rolloff.

Using the corrected flat setting, I found the results stunning and terrific.  Any thoughts on this or your own experiences with Audyssey and tweaking the settings?

Thank you, 

RK

• Like 1

I've run a calibration tool before but never Audyssey.  I just got a used Denon with XT, ran it, and thought it came back very muted on the high end.  I read a bit and saw they have a roll-off on the top end, and if you don't like it, use Audyssey flat which is the same without the rolloff.

Using the corrected flat setting, I found the results stunning and terrific.  Any thoughts on this or your own experiences with Audyssey and tweaking the settings?

Thank you, 

RK

• I generally prefer Audyssey Flat, as well. 
  • It seems that most people who choose Audyssey Flat turn up their sub a bit after using Audyssey, and/or turn up their bass control a little (not the graphic virtual sliders, because they can't be used with Audyssey).  Since the bass is smoother after Audyssey, it can now be turned up a bit, overall, without boominess. This helps with vinyl and CDs that incorporate bass attenuation (for various reasons).  The most preferred house curve is both smooth (Audyssey should help tremendously with that) and tipped up a bit in the bass. 
Edited by garyrc

Thanks Derrickdj1.  I picked up a Denon AVR3808CI in great condition cheap.  The knock on it is the remote sucks, but I picked it up and got everything setup without a hitch.  I'm guessing the issues are more if someone wants the remote to do everything -- I just want it to run the AVR, imagine that :)

Upping the bass was definitely smart.   I will experiment with how much and it's effects.  I'm honestly shocked how much improved the sound is overall.  I've got the sub in the back of an L-shaped room and although I may try one other spot up front, I'm really surprised it's blending so well.