Anyone in CT with RF-7ii?

Grizzog

I've looked around and no one seems to carry the RF-7ii to audition. 

I bought the RP-280F for my TV/movies but I also listen to music fairly regularly in there as well.  Reading a whole bunch of discussions, some vote for the 280 over the 7s, and some say 7s over the 280s.  I'd really like to be able to hear them for myself to see what they are like.  Anyone in CT want to offer an audition? :)

I have not heard the RP 280 but, it is similar to the RF 82's except for a different horn design.  1 in. tweet and 8 in. woofers.  The 7's are still the Reference speaker to beat IMHO.  I would go with a matching set of the RP or RF 7's.  I like smaller woofers for voices like the RF 64 which is just about perfect for me.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have not heard the RP 280 but, it is similar to the RF 82's except for a different horn design.  1 in. tweet and 8 in. woofers.  The 7's are still the Reference speaker to beat IMHO.

I've seen some opinions that the 1" tweeter can't compete with the 1.75".  My 19s have a 1" compression driver that sounds extremely smooth, goes down to 1200hz, and extends quite high...albeit a much bigger horn than either the 280 or the 7ii.

I've seen some opinions that the 1" tweeter can't compete with the 1.75".

My opinion was that the sound differences were surprisingly minor on most material, but the biggest difference that could be singled out was in fact the tweeter. Saying the 1" can compete with the 1.75 is about like saying the 1.75 can compete with the DE-75's in KPT-904's. They're all nice, but some are smoother and can be crossed over lower.

More than anything I think the RF-7ii's are just more colorful on music. That being said, my go-to speaker for music right now is the RP-160M. Just ordered four more last night. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

More than anything I think the RF-7ii's are just more colorful on music. That being said, my go-to speaker for music right now is the RP-160M. Just ordered four more last night. :)

Just curious - more colorful as in less accurate, or meaning more body/fullness?

Just curious - more colorful as in less accurate, or meaning more body/fullness?

I listen to a lot of flamenco music, so I say colorful as in that type of music really comes alive better.  String attacks have more definition, the tweeter handles more notes which just sounds sweeter, prettier, more clear.  Just sounds more lively.  

On the flip side, there's hard rock which also sounds a bit better to me, specifically with cymbal crashes, which sounds thicker, and the snap of the beater on kick drums, which comes through strong.  I feel that rock singers have a nicer growl but it's not as obvious as cymbals and kick drums.  

I have not heard the RP 280 but, it is similar to the RF 82's except for a different horn design.  1 in. tweet and 8 in. woofers.  The 7's are still the Reference speaker to beat IMHO.

I've seen some opinions that the 1" tweeter can't compete with the 1.75".  My 19s have a 1" compression driver that sounds extremely smooth, goes down to 1200hz, and extends quite high...albeit a much bigger horn than either the 280 or the 7ii.

Your Altec are one inch exit compression drivers with essentially 3 inch diaphragms. The Rf280 is a one inch diaphragm no contest. The distortion of a three inch diaphragm is going to be almost four times lower than a one inch diaphragm will be. A one and three quarter inch diaphragm will be roughly half the distortion of a one inch diaphragm.

Edited by moray james

Your Altec are one inch exit compression drivers with essentially 3 inch diaphragms. The Rf280 is a one inch diaphragm no contest. The distortion of a three inch diaphragm is going to be almost four times lower than a one inch diaphragm will be. A one and three quarter inch diaphragm will be roughly half the distortion of a one inch diaphragm.

You are correct. My mistake, I confused exit with the actual driver size. Makes it a lot easier for it to have a response of 500-20,000 if desired.