denon 3802 owners

MCos

As a general rule, I never take mine more than 0. I have a couple of times taken it to +4db on some of my cleaner, more quite CD's, but not for very long. It still sounds clear, but I'm too worried about blowing tweeters at these volumes. I have also hit the wrong direction on the volume control and gone over 0 probably to about +6 or 8, but for a brief second only.

I have never cranked it to +12. I have heard some guys turn their systems up to +10 with like 5803's - that's nuts.

I value what little hearing I have left.

I find my system sound the best between -25 and -20, not too hard on my hears and the sound is more balanced.

-PB

To be honest, I usually stay in the -20's for normal TV viewing.

For movies and music I'm usually around -17 or so ocassionally going up to around -10.

I've gone as high as +6 on a CD but only for a few seconds.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

I usually keep mine around -25 to -20 while watching TV and/or listening to music. I have cranked it up as much a -15 to listen to some music and watch movies. Once, I cranked it up to +10 just to have the satisfaction of drowning out some punk's car stereo he was blasting outside across the street.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

"Once, I cranked it up to +10 just to have the satisfaction of drowning out some punk's car stereo he was blasting outside across the street."

cwm27.gif

Most of the time my 3801 and now gone 5800 never go above -10.At -10 its ear bleed time and in room SPL varies from 109dB to an ear tearing 120+ dB!At listening position!

Remember I use two pairs of RF-7's(front and rear)a RC-7 center,and RF-5's as second pair of sourrounds.All this powered by an ATI 2505(front,center)and ATI 1505 for the sourround channels.

Plus three Sunfire subs and two Carver Knight Shadow pump the sub bass.Its a physical experience.The walls move with the bass and ears start to break up. LOL

All this in a 14*10 room! 6.5 foot high(high celling but divided in two rooms)So you get an idea.

So far no punk a$$ could outblast me in my SPL fortress.I pitty the fool who wants to compete in loudness and quality.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

MCOS

It really depends how you have things setup. When I first started using my new receiver I was totally buffaloed with the negative volume thing, and so I started this thread.

http://216.37.9.58/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum2&topic=000364

I've since turned off the TV's speakers it sounds better with just Klipsch. I find the source of the audio plays a big difference in the volume, and even using the same source, the recording levels, as well as my listening levels vary greatly Generally speaking though, I stay anywhere between 25 and zero if I'm inside the house.

Also, If you discover any tuning insights on the receiver please share them with the rest of us. The Denon Manual is the first thing that I will use as cat box liner should I run out of newspaper.