Mapleshades CDs and Tweaks

Audio Flynn

I was just getting ready to put in an order to this unique mail order company and realized people do not talk about Mapleshades very much on this forum.

Origonally this company just did very natural "stripped down" recordings of older semi known blues and jazz artists and mastered them to CD. You take a chance on liking the music but I have never heard anyone have major concerns with the sounds of the instruments or the recording. There are 85+ titles to choose from and a very forgiving return policy.

They have since come out with some cool tweaky looking cables and vibration management devices(I have not tried these items yet).

I am going to put in an order for 4 CDs and some of the vibration managment devices.

The CDs sound as good or better than ones isued by Blue Note, Narada or Windam Hill. Their sound encourages me to try the vibration dampening devices.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Their CDs are done well. The problem is the material, like most hi-end labels, does not always happen to fall under ye olde "good music" catagory, a category that is subjective at best, but is more pain via the typical Audiophile labels.

I always thought their foil wire solutions looked interesting. No experience with the vibration control they are now carrying but the same theories and type is used elsewhere.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-30-2002 at 04:44 AM

Mobile,

You've had that Lynn for donkey's years now. Any plans to move for a more modern table?? There is some really funky sh!t out there now and the sonics are staggering!!

I only ask as your source is starting to look seriously like the weak point in your system - you must be reaching the point of diminishing returns on the amp side of things by now.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Have you heard a Linn LP-12 Valhalla? I have this sitting here right now

table_splash3.jpg

Tonearm is a Incognito Wired RB-300. Cartridge coming in is the Blue Point Special.

The Linn LP-12 is one of the most musical tables I have ever heard as has NEVER been the wink link in my system. I have heard quite a few tables, some more neutral per say, but none able to give me the feeling of the soul of the music as the Linn. But it is not the most neutral table....I will give you that - it exhibits a warmth that is a bit colored. IT has one of the best feelings of rhythm of any table I have heard with excellent pace. Have you ever heard a properly setup Linn LP-12? Properly set up, it walks all over most of the modern stuff under 1200.

kh

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-30-2002 at 07:27 AM

I have purchased a few of their CDs, I find them very well recorded but, like others, I haven't fallen in love with the content.

I did purchase their "OPTRIX CD SPRAY" to clean dirty/scratched CDs and DVDs. I have had great success with it curing skipping CDs and also DVDs that wouldn't play in my DVD player (Blockbuster rentals that we bring home that pixelate/skip etc. to the point they are unwatchable). This stuff has worked everytime!

Whoops!!!

Er....

I thought you had this:

showimage.asp?user=dappletoft&pic=linnit

(A Sondek if the pic doesnt come through)

Didnt know there was a Lynn that looked like yours. Nope - never heard it, properly setup or otherwise, so ignore my question.

Is that really all it cost?

I thought this was good value for money at 5 times that figure (with the Rega Arm and the Shelter 901 cartridge):

Edition.jpg

(if the pic doesnt come through it is http://www.acoustic-solid.de/assets/images/Edition.jpg)

Apologies again!

More miscommunication. YES, I DO have that table you pictured at the top. IT is spelled LINN by the way. All my previous comments pertain to this table in the Valhalla setup, which is not even up to date, Linn-wise, but I happen to like the way it sounds over the Lingo Linn even though many prefer this PS. As you are new to vinyl, perhaps you have not heard the Linn. Like tubes, many things have come since, but this table when set up properly is one of the best at doing music. Of course, it isnt always setup properly..heh.

linn3.jpg

The other table you saw in my last post was Progressive-Engineering's The Table, which was sent to me for a review and for pics. I also did their website ( http://www.progressive-engineering.com/ ). I still have not heard it as I am awaiting a new cartridge. This table comes in around 2500-3000 depending on options. It is a TOTALLY different theory and design than the Linn so will be interesting. In the past, I have believed in the Linn approach.

kh

ps- A substantial improvement with my Linn would be the tonearm. IT is a good arm...but surely not great by any means.

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-30-2002 at 08:46 AM

I think I need a drink right now!

OK - I am still on shaky ground as I have only heard the Linn (corrected) twice and have no idea how well they were setup.

I can tell you that the Acoustic-solid I heard (above post) was simply the best audio source device I have heard to date this side of $you choose. I cannot say that your Linn is not its equal but I would be a bit surprised.

I think the Acoustic-Solid would give Christos' TT (Skaloumbakos on this forum) a run for its money (which I have also only heard once - although it was a very memorable experience).

Anyway - I will make no further comments on TT's - you are exposed to some fairly serious stuff and it is your ears that count.