Help Create My System!

Brennet

Hey everyone, I have been staring at the speakers on the Klipsch website for days now and finally decided to seek help from some people who may be in the know. I am currently building a house in Australia (well, starting around September) and I'm looking to know my system before we put up the walls so I can run whatever cables I need to easier.

I'll explain what I have in mind so you can give me some recommendations because the only thing I've heard is the Klipsch R10B soundbar and I love it! The room I'm putting my home theatre into is roughly 950 cubic feet with 9 foot ceilings. I was considering in walls and actually got a quote for 4 of the pro 7800 in walls but then realized they're recommended for rooms three times the size of the one I've got!

So, what I'm considering:

5.2 or 7.2 surround sound

I don't have an amp yet

In wall preferred (this is the one house)

It's for gaming mostly with the occasional movie

Don't worry about budget (for now)

Thanks in advance for any help!

G'day Brennet, a big USA welcome to the forum!  :emotion-19::emotion-21::emotion-22:

You have indeed come to the right place.  You will find people here will give you brutally honest answers based on knowledge backed with experience.  I am more of a generalist and I think you will find others will give you more specific recommendations.

I am hesitant in recommending in-wall speakers unless you have no other choice.  I like the separates because things DO change, furniture gets moved around, and the separates will give you more flexibility and options for placement.  Any future upgrades will be easier as well.

Do you think you will want Atmos?  It is the latest and greatest but not everybody is doing that, it's whatever you think.  I will say in general 5.2 or 7.2 will give you about all you want, so I'm with you on that. 

Once Atmos Yes/no is decided, we can proceed with helping you spend those big Aussie dollars.  :smile:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I haven't especially looked into Atmos but that's probably the newest, latest and greatest in the Dolby family, so let's go yes!

The reason I was looking at in walls was mostly to keep the look of the room clean and for better positioning around my couch and tv, I have considered free standing but my lounge is as long as my back wall which means I'd lose a bit of space between me and the TV to fit them in. The room is 9.2 ft W x 11.5 ft L, not the ideal size for a theatre room but it works with the design of the house!

My thoughts:

1. High quality in-walls would be fine in a tiny room, especially for mostly gaming.  I would say to do whatever it takes to have three identical LCR's behind an acoustically transparent screen, and if in-walls is what you need to make that work, then do that.  Otherwise you'll be giving up at least 1 foot of wall space to built a baffle wall.  For movies I would say do not start with a blank slate just to end up with a horizontal center channel!  You said it was for gaming though, which usually means TV only.  I'd still say that a projector is better, but hardcore gamers do not like the extra lag that many projectors have.  That's about the only disadvantage.  Mine's supposedly slow but I still don't really notice it though.  

2. Try to plan the house so that you have an AV closet in an adjoining room or in the wall.  Having a rack plus multiple people in that room is going to be cramped and hot.  Try not to plan it so that all you gear is just sitting up front, blinky lights are distracting.  

3. Infinite baffle subs would be a good way to save space in your situation.  The THX subs aren't very big though.  Two of those would really do some damage in a room that small.  

4. Prewire the crap out of everything.  Wire is cheap.  Retrofitting, not so much.  Wire about double what you think you need.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

You would be surprised how much you can fit in that space. My room is about 13x10 ft and I have a 4.1 system with LaScalas, bookshelf surrounds and a 15'' subwoofer. Sound quality is also compromised with the in walls. Is your TV mounted on the wall or on a stand? Also, for a small room you really dont need a center channel if you have well placed mains. The stereo imaging will put the voices right on the screen. Center channels are generally for larger rooms with people sitting off axis and it helps anchor the voices but you dont really need to worry about that.

Edited by twk123

I will add my 2cents. I have a theatre room that is about 11x19 and went in wall and in ceiling for 7.2.4 atmos. I have Cornwalls for my 2 channel system in another room and I knew that I wouldn't be able to go that big (La Scala, corns,or even the new reference premiere) in that space without compromising on seating and feeling like I wasn't stuffing 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. You may feel differently with towers maybe you won't.

I agree with having the front 3 being the same. If you're building new I would suggest wiring for as many speaker combinations that you could reasonably fit in your space-wire is cheap and it's easier to run when there is no drywall in the way. I see Metropolis mentioned the same thing. But having recently retrofitted my space I can attest!

Hey everyone, thanks a ton for the useful suggestions! To answer a few questions my TV will most likely be mounted on the wall, but I will still have a cabinet for storage which can hold the TV if I change my mind before the room is built.

The other thing is I have a sliding door at the front corner of the room which really means I can't put standing speakers or the lounge there. That was my initial consideration for in walls. As that wall beside the door is where the TV will mount and I figured two speakers either side and one below it plus my rears behind the lounge would do well.

The other problem I have is nowhere in the area has Klipsch speakers (I can get them through our local supplier though) so I can't sample the various in wall or free standing speakers to see what would be good. Any suggestions on models?

Also I know that I will lose some sound quality with in walls as opposed to free standing beasts, but considering I've been only using TV speakers for my whole life, I think this will be a considerable upgrade!

I think you can still do well with in-wall/ceiling speakers. Sheer numbers will help- stuff 6 or more speakers into the space and you can have one heck of a system.

I couldn't hear the klipsch speakers anywhere by me either but did hear Bowers & Wilkins and have been super happy with my setup. Good luck as you get into this!