Changing Tweeter Impedance in RB-35

Something that is either cheap or something that won't blow.   :)

The RF-35 is crossed over at 2600 Hz but that is for a 3 ohm tweeter (K-130). Changing to a K-137 makes the HPF not much more than 1KHz. If you could get a tweeter that is 4 ohm like this http://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-h25tg05-04-1-titanium-dome-tweeter-with-waveguide-4-ohm--264-1380, then the crossover would be closer to the 2600 it was intended for. The bad thing is that the mounts are all wrong, so you would be tearing your old tweeter apart and this tweeter horn off and trying to get them to work together. Hopefully, the sensitivity of this tweeter is close to that of the original K-130. $25 is cheaper than the $38 the K-137 would have been. 

Edited by mustang guy

• 4 years later...

Rather than starting a new thread...I have the exact same issue as the OP.  I've had these speakers lying around for almost ten years now and decided I could probably put together a decent two channel setup.  Problem is that one of the tweeters is completely dead.  Same 3-ohm, K130 tweeter.  I've sent a message to Klipsch customer service to see if they have any ideas.  Otherwise I will probably replace both with a matching pair of low impendence tweeters.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, stocker08 said:

Rather than starting a new thread...I have the exact same issue as the OP.  I've had these speakers lying around for almost ten years now and decided I could probably put together a decent two channel setup.  Problem is that one of the tweeters is completely dead.  Same 3-ohm, K130 tweeter.  I've sent a message to Klipsch customer service to see if they have any ideas.  Otherwise I will probably replace both with a matching pair of low impendence tweeters.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Looks like you can still get the k-137 as recommended earlier in this thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-1011956-1-Titanium-Dome-Tweeter-for-K137-K138-160748-Replacement/203132953094?epid=1053593834&hash=item2f4baae206:g:LxkAAOSw0Glff0je

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah, I saw that.  It didn't sound like there was a consensus on whether it's a good replacement or not, since it has an 8-ohm impendence compared to the originals 3-ohm impendence.  And if it is going to cause a difference between the left and right if I simply replace the one....at that point I may just have to replace both.  That kind of opens up the possibilities.  Find something at 4-ohm that more closely matches the original impendence.

After doing a bit more research on the topic.....and being directed back to this forum and topic from six years prior to this thread.....it looks like the K-137 probably IS the recommended replacement tweeter.

For those of us that own RF 25's (Or have bought them used for a good deal with the tweeters fried, like me) Here are the pics of the old and new tweeters. Klipsch has realized that they messed up with their original tweeter selection and added a heafty heat sink on the new k-137 tweeters. They go for around $28 each, and are on a bout a 2 month back order (oops Klipsch, do you think you made these too fragile if everyone and their brother is burning them up?) I personally have never blown a speaker (other than a cheap woofer when doing a dj gig at block party that involved a whole bunch of cocktails) but when talking to the the folks at klipsch they seem to be replacing these left and right.

So, here are the pics of the old and new tweets for the rf-25's

This refers to the RB-25 speakers rather than the RB-35, but they used the same model tweeter.  So if anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future.....it appears that the K-130 was a mistake by Klipsch.  Don't overthink the impendence rating.  The K-137 is the correct replacement.  And I'm finding that the K-137, while still available at some places, was discontinued and replaced by the K-138-O.

Edited by stocker08

• 9 months later...

Interesting... I just got a 5.1 klipsch system off craigslist for an insane deal and found one of the RF-35s has a bad tweeter. It is the 3 ohm K-130. Looks like the K-137 and K-138 are all out of stock everywhere... Might just grab something off Parts Express and hope for the best