Mike Lindsay

NOSValves

Mike,

I was just looking at your pictures in the other Lascala thread. I'm wondering where you sit when listening could you put up a photo of the entire room. I have my lascalas here now and find the sweet spot to be very narrow and they seem to sound great within the sweet spot but horrible outside of it. I didn't have that expereince with the Heresy's while they sounded great in there narrow sweet spot they still sounded great outside of it. You have yours towed in a bit more then mine maybe I'll try that.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Mobile,

No that system isn't my main system that is my Livingroom HT setup and morning coffee and casual listening room. I'm hesitant to display my main system until I do some basement remodeling !! A 50 year old basement in Michigan isn't a pretty thing LOL !!! But the room is definitely Acoustically challenged in its current state lots of Metal Heating ducts and the such. My heresy's didn't seem to mind it that much. The lascalas seem to hate it. They also seem to be way touchy on what source you use. They sound way better with a Turn Table then my Sony ES CD drive or my Tuner. Which I realize should be true but wasn't magnified as much with the Heresy's. The lascala are really harsh in my room at higher levels above 98 to 100db and real harsh outside of the listening area at these levels. They sound real sweet below these levels its like they interact with the room way more and its noit a good thing. This may push my remodelling forward LOL !!!!

Craig

Mobile,

What a bummer was just going to go down and take pictures of my Dungeon and found the Digital camera is still in my truck which the wife is gone in for the day. Will have to do it later. When you do get to see it I'm sure your going to say Ouch !!!! The Acoustics are horrible and the place looks terible so brace yourself. I have a entire different area of the basement in mind for a serious listening room that will be setup for the best posible acoustics in mind within a budget.

Craig

I agree it is narrow but most of my listening is of the serious nature anyway. I do very little casual listening. Here is a pic of my listening area on the back couch. The speakers are 12' apart and I am 11' feet away with the La Scala's toed right at my head...

HT3.jpg

Mobile, please no comments about the pic. It is too high off the couch and also may not be your cup of tea. I have a number of French sidewalk paintings and this one brings the red out of the front wall as well as provide a little color in a neutral room.

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-01-2002 at 12:35 PM

Too bad about the digital. I always find it really interesting to see members' listening rooms to get an idea of where they are coming from. Throw a pic up of what you are seeing (if not hearing) from the sweetspot ie taken directly from your listening position.

Mike, heh.... Dont worry! I am not going to start lambasting your artwork! heh.... Hell, I am tring to keep everything civil anyway, these days although sometimes we have moments of relapse. Besides, you have sent me a plethora of pics of your listening room in the past so I pretty much have it memorized.

Do you both find the sonics really poor off the axis? I get great sound from the other room as well as in my kitchen (which, unfortunately, is not that far away). No, it is not the soundstaging and imaging snap in focus you get from the sweetspot area but the sound retains good TONE and richness, without harsh overtones. Of course, poor recordings can bring out the worst in these horns, from the mids up.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-01-2002 at 12:49 PM

Cool I figured that is what the rest of the room would layout like. I just did something similar in my room my Lascalas are exactly 9' apart measure tweeter to tweeter and I sit exactly 9' from the tweeters perfect triangle. I have toed them in drastically so that they firing 1 foot in front of my head and find that the off access and throughout the house they sound much better but at my listening position it ruins the sound field making it hard to pick out the instruments and the air is almost gone arround the singer and the instruments. I previosly had them at the other extreme firing on each side of my head this is how my heresy's sounded best to me and sounded great thoughout the house. This position sounded better at my sweet spot with the Lascalas also. I'm going to start toeing them less and less now until a happy medium is found. There is one more position that I have to take into account. I work on amps and I am seated right between the speakers alot and they sound much better with the extreme toe in when sitting right between the speakers. My first guess would be that having them fire just barely on each side oif my head is going to be the ticket but I will find out before the day is done.

One thing that amazes me is how good they sound even though they have funky miss matched woofers in them its incredible !!!! Can't wait to see what some K33's will do !!

Craig

Well I spent most of the day listening and moving the Lascalas and ended up right back where I started Toed in to fire about 1 Ft in front of my position. The sound took some getting used to but sounds simply amazing I think my first impression in this position was not letting my amp warm up there is now plenty of air between the instruments real nice sound field. Its hard to believe the difference these speakers have brought to my system. I'm very happy with them and can't wait to get proper woofers in them. The Scott 299 just loves these speakers real dynamic and live sounding its real cool how they hit you in the chest at high volumes.

Craig

Graig,

I have been playing with my Lascala's for about 3 weeks now.

I have found the sweet spot narrow, but sounds so alive when you get it.

Last week I had to take my Rega into the shop. I was using my old Onkyo, which sounded like carp on my system.

The stereo shop let me take home a $1,000 DAC to try out. It helped a little, but for a grand I should be blown away.I chanded IC and made a big difference.

I called my sister and her husband to come over and give me their opinion. They both agreed that it really didn't make that much of a difference.

He told me he used to use the Lascala's for his PA system in the band he was in. We started playing with them and I ended up putting them on $5.00 plastic tables (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITH SMALL CHILDREN) 14" off the ground. The horns are now at ear level. WOW. Such detail. The bass is still a little weak, but it really didn't kill the bass as much as I thought it would.

This weekend I have been buliding stands for them. I am leaving town Tuesday and I won't be back until Friday night. When I get back next weekend I am going to fill the stands with sand and try them out. I will report later.

Enjoy your speakers.

Danny