removal of bug-screen from K55-V

dhsettim

I'd say, don't do it. That is based on some experience.

I saw a suggestion to remove the bug screen on a print out from a site regarding Altec VOT speakers. The authors reported an improvement. It makes some sense in that you'd think that a screen in the path has some bad effect. On the other hand, maybe it creates some sort of a resistive acoustic load which could help.

The test gear I was using was an LMS system. I was measuring a spare EV-1824 driver (it is not too different than the Klipsch units) on a plane wave tube. The later was home made but gave what I believe was accurate, repeatable results.

To remove the screen I punched a hole in it with a small screw driver and then pulled it out with needle nose pliers. I could not see a way of taking the unit apart to make the change reversable. Perhaps there is one. Unfortunately I don't have the unit any more to take a closer look. Naturally you'd have to determine that on your driver. It may be part of pressed in fitting.

Running the curve again, I found no change at all.

So, I expect you'll want to experiment yourself.

I concluded that the designers had determined that this protection against foreign objects is important and does not harm the sound.

Gil

I have had some success removing and re-installing bug screens on various drivers. I have found most to be part of an insert as Gil mentioned.

By grabbing the screen in the center with a dental pick and pulling, the screen deformed into an inverted cone. This decreased the diameter enough to slip out of the flange that holds it in place. For re-insertion, I simply slipped the screen back into place and flattened the screen from the outside with my finger.

If the screen is pinched tight, you may have to slip something slender between the screen and the outer flange to free it. If the screen is loose after re-insertion, try peening the flange back tight to the screen.

If you damage the screen upon removal, a replacement shouldn't be hard to find. Form it over your finger like a thimble, and you should be able to install it. Let us know if you decide to do it, and what you think.

Chris

Actually, I've tried the k55v's without the bug screen and I can say that it DOES sound different to me.

I would say that it sounds better... but also louder so I putted the bug screens back into place until I have my ALK x-overs done. I'll then have the possibility to tame down the midrange level a bit.

If you don't have ALKs, dont remove the bug screens, midrange will sound too loud (it's already loud enough IMHO lol)

A simple way to try it, however, is (as I have done later) find a second pair of k55v and remove their bug screen, then listen A/B and see for yourself. Don't need to worry about the ability to put it back in place (wich IS doable if careful...)