Do DVD players vary in sound quality much?

jwadd21

I am most worried about the sound that my dvd player puts out. Would a decent toshiba model do just as a good as a higher priced brand for sound? or does the sound even vary much? I am looking for the best sounding DVD player under 400 bucks.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

DVD Player: JVC Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

again, that doesnt answer my question....

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

DVD Player: JVC Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

I have a Sony DVD player and I don't think the audio from it is very high quality at all. The sound and performance does vary from one unit to another. What is the best overall low/mid line player. Good question?

I have looked into this a little over the past few days looking for the best $400 unit I can find. I think that for me the Denon DVD 1600 with DVD Audio and Progressive Scan looks like a good choice. That DVD player should cost you about $350ish from Uncle's Stereo and according to a post from Audio Review it sounds about as good as Denon's DCM 370 HDCD player. Neither Denon unit is High End but both should do a favorable job in their attempt to play high quality for the price.

For about $600 you could get into the Denon 2800II. That DVD player seems to be a solid unit that plays everything short of SACD.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 09-02-2002 at 12:02 PM

j, if you use the digital transport to your hk, then your hk dacs, etc. determine the sound quality. you shouldn't hear any dif w/ $50 dvdp vs a $2000 this way, generally.

but like af says as w/ the new formats using your dvdp dacs & related components to output analog to your receiver, you may get better sound than using the related components in the receiver. definitely should w/ the dvd-audio & sacd higher res/higher dynamics formats.

but even for regular dvd/cd some still use the analog connections & the dvdp components to get a better sound. w/ the new formats you have to do it this way because the industry has it so you can't pass these on a digital connection. w/ the regular stuff its a matter of the sound quality of your receiver components vs that of the dvdp.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-03-2002 at 12:32 AM