Clipping Problem with Cornwalls and HK AVR7200

I've got a puzzling problem going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Harman Kardon AVR 7200 running in 8 channel direct mode connected to a

2. Samsung BluRay BD-F7500

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-F7500/ZA

3. with two Klipsch Cornwalls as fronts, two Klipsch Synergies as Surrounds, and a couple of Sony's as rears.

This problem ONLY happens with BluRays. I played "The Martian" in DTS 7.1. When I encounter heavy bassy areas, like a hatch closing or heavy winds my fronts, left and right, "clip." Imagine someone is in the speaker with a static charge sending a "jolt" into the speaker causing it to snap or crackle. The crackling only happens in my fronts.

If I change the codec to Spanish 5.1 or English 5.1 with narration the clipping goes away. For this movie you can't have English 5.1 all by itself.

I have swapped out the amp, the Samsung Bluray and my audio cables. I also swapped out the Bluray DVD. In the setup of the Samsung I have fiddled with the audio settings.

I have changed the "Digital Output" of the Samsung from PCM to "Bitstream - Reencloded DTS". I have changed the Downmixing Mode from Normal Stereo to Surround Compatible. I don't really know what I am doing in this section of the Samsung.

The idea here was that by running 8 channel audio direct from the Samsung to the HK I could let the Samsung do the decoding and send the decoded elements directly to the amp which doesn't support DTS 7.1 or newer high end codecs. It seems like I only get the clipping (and only during bassy "explosion" types of sounds) when I run high ended codecs like DTS 7.1. Otherwise all is fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion or observation they can offer? I'm pretty puzzled by this.

Thank you!

Mike Gallery

Crystal Lake, Illinois

Edited by MikeGinIllinois

Have you tried listening via the headphone output of your receiver ? It's highly unlikely that your speakers are responsible for something like this unless the capacitors or drivers are toast.

Edited by zobsky

Thanks, guys. You spent some time trying to help me out! I *think* the "DTS Bomb" problem may well describe what I am experiencing.

I'm going to try recabling my setup. I did call Samsung support. Some gal in the Philippines had no idea what I was talking about.

I'm also going to run an optical cable from the Samsung to the HK. As I understand it that will automatically change the decoding from DTS 7.1 to DTS 5.1.

Finally, just because I want to use my HK 7200 and 7300 amps (I have 4 in the house!) I will buy an Oppo. Has anyone had any experience with Oppo Bluray players? The 103's and 105's they make all come standard with 7.1 audio analog outputs.

Mike