Skype is driving me nuts.....

Mighty Favog

So, I'm at work trying to learn how to do a group video chat. But first, I'm just trying to get the video to be seen on both sides. I have two tablets that I'm connecting between (older first edition MS Surface (base model) and my personal (very new) Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.9"). I can see the video from the Surface transmitting to the Samsung but not the Samsung to the Surface. The Surface only shows a selfy-type picture of its own camera in a thumbnail at the bottom-right. I can move the thumbnail around on the screen but not enlarge it.

I have each unit on a different table so when I see the back of my head on each one, I know it's working.

post-3464-0-46420000-1464877598_thumb.jp

post-3464-0-94260000-1464877611_thumb.jp

Re: The Samsung - simplify first.  See if you can get the Samsung to produce a picture which can be seen on its own screen.  Try producing a short recording which you can do from Skype to test itself and see if you get success.  If you can't get video, try the audio mode and try to get some success going.

Re: Group Skype - Isn't that an extra, a paid feature?  I haven't used Skype for a while so I don't remember.

Edit:  It looks like Group Skype for up to 25 people is free.  It looks simple to do as well.

Edited by wvu80

You're right, no recording native to Skype.  Those are 3rd party apps.  I think the recording apps I've used is native to my Logitech web cam.

I am working from home.  Would it help if you Skyped to me?

+++

I am backtracking again.  Here is the Skype comparison of features, Free vs Business.

The FREE version gives you up to 25 AUDIO connections.  The BUSINESS version is up to 250 calls AND video.  I've been Googling this, it's very confusing and hard to get a straight answer from Skype.  Check this link and see what you think.

https://www.skype.com/en/business/

Edited by wvu80

Have you figured out if there is a FREE version that will allow VIDEO conferencing?  I've researched it, I've given two diametrically opposed opinions, and I'm still not sure.  :wacko:

My latest opinion is that you can do group AUDIO for free, but not group VIDEO.  That is an extra charge from Skype.

In the searches I did earlier today, I could have sworn I saw a header for an article about "finally being able to group video chat for free" but I wizzed passed it since it didn't look like what I needed....just yet. I was still trying to get the camera bug worked out.

I'll look more when I get home tonight.

Hmmmm... this might be it.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34454/what-s-new-with-group-video-calling

Edited by Mighty Favog

Well, thanks for the link.  It sure looks like group chat for 9 people is free.

I think I'm on my third opinion flip-flop of the day.  Let me know when you find something else and I'll be happy to flip-flop back the other way.  :wacko:

• Like 1

Yea, when I was doing the re-install it asked to have permission to access to the camera and the microphone. Just bet one of those settings got jumbled somehow.

Also, I had to download it from the Windows store icon from the Taskbar of Win8RT. Downloading it from other places, for whatever device, won't install. (Swine pigeon....)

Oh, well. They're working now, still haven't tried the group thing yet (oh, that sounded bad).

Thanks for the input!!

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1