Anyone have or worked with the Yaqin MC-5881a? Have some tube questions

creeve

Hello all,

I just picked up a Yaqin MC-5881a. It is used with an unknown number of hours on it, but in perfect condition as far as I can tell. It uses 4 Shuguang 5881a power tubes and 4 Shuguang 6n1 preamp tubes. I have already rolled in some JJ 6l6gc's but am having trouble finding suitable upgrades for the 6n1. From everything that I have read there is no true electrically equivilant substitute for these but the 6n1p-ev is the closest match. The problem is that I have also heard and it even states on a well known tube supplier website that these are known to induce hum in Yaqin amps. So my question to you all is has anyone successfully used a different preamp tube in this amp and if so what did you use.

Thanks

Chris

I use a Yaquin VK 2100 amp.  It has  the 6n-1p tubes in the preamp.  No hum for around 3 years and the tubes are still going strong.  I have not found much benefit in tub rolling.  It sounds great and replace my McIntosh, MAC 1700.

Edited by derrickdj1

Chris,

I use the NOVS (Novosibirsk) 6H1N on mine and they sound wonderful. I have the MC-10L. All mine are NOS tubes. I have 1 quad Gold Pin from 1990, and 5 quads from 1966. No hum and super quiet.

If you're interested, I'd let a quad go on either the Gold Pin, or the others. Let me know.

Jim

Chris,

I use the NOVS (Novosibirsk) 6H1N on mine and they sound wonderful. I have the MC-10L. All mine are NOS tubes. I have 1 quad Gold Pin from 1990, and 5 quads from 1966. No hum and super quiet.

If you're interested, I'd let a quad go on either the Gold Pin, or the others. Let me know.

Jim

PM Replied