K-77 HORN WITH EV DRIVER

longdrive03

Gil, once again you hit a home run (measured) on information.  So I was but a wee pup in 1959 when the K77 was first used.  

Very interesting how Klipsch changed vendors or different plants from the same vendors.    Lots of history there.  Thanks for posting

Dave, a buddy of mine that used to work at EV thought the ribs might have been added to increase the strength of the horn walls.  He was going to check his sources to see if he could find out anymore on this.

I agree with Gil, I like the look of the ribs. 

2 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

...thought the ribs might have been added to increase the strength of the horn walls

I would think they would have put the ribs on the back side of the horn if that were the case. At least it's a fun project, and not as difficult a a huge, expensive box made out of baltic birch. ;)

Bruce

It's been sunny and HOT here, plus high humidity. Finally had some nice rain today, enough to actually help the uard and garden. It could rain a lot here and I wouldn't mind, especially since our ztreet is the highest in the subdivision... eveverything is downhill from here so we don't jave to worry about flooding.

The last Allied catalog to show a T-35 without the phase plug and ribs is 1957.  Earlier than I expected.

Just maybe, that horn was made of a thin casting or even stamped metal.  The phase plug and ribs must have required a casting.  Therefore the ribs could have added rigidity over the non-ribbed version.

The catalog page also shows some EV corner horn kits.

WMcD

1957 Catalog Showing T-35 Without Phase Plug or Ribs.jpg