Chorus 1 x-over problem

billybob

Greetings,

Put in  freshly capped crossover back in speakers last evening. From the get go, one speaker sounded like muffled bass and the only higher freq. able to hear was through the bass. Unable to get a sound out of squawker or tweeter. Reversed left/right speaker wires on the amp and this pointed to the x-over. Just pulled the crossover  back out and examined it . Upon initial and close exam., the only difference I can see is with the bennic part wiring, as opposed to the other crossover which is working. The wiring seems to be reversed. It is the vertical or upright part standing on the bottom right of lower pcb. On the working crossover, the wire from top is soldered into the board at the 4 o'clock position and the non-working one in the 8 o'clock position. Do not know if this matters, and the problem lies elsewhere. Believe I would have noticed 2 diaphrams not working or out of phase before the upgrade of crossover. Even a mid and or a tweeter out of phase, I should get something but no, dead silence. This was techs first crossover job. Here is a pic of them. It is the crossover on the right in question, and thanks for your help:

DSC00282.jpgcrossover.jpg

7 minutes ago, mustang guy said:

Are those caps bi-polar (BP)? If so, it doesn't matter which direction they are wired into that PCB. In fact, you cannot use a polar cap in a crossover.

They came from Dean along with resistor and the upright bennic. So thinking bi-polar. Just not certain about the bennic part, if this helps.

Yeah if Dean did them, no problem with that. 

You say you reversed the wiring. Does that mean you kept the same network in the same speaker and powered it? If that is so, have you tried swapping the networks into the different speaker cabs to rule out a failing tweeter and midrange on the offending speaker?

• Like 1

Dean supplied the parts. A local tech did the work.

Hoping not to have to remove the working crossover but, may have too, to see what is up.

The bennic part then is a capacitor? If so then, since bi-polar caps  are used throughout, if

the bennic is indeed a bi-polar capacitor, it should not matter if it was wired in reverse. And

if so, I am at a loss for the moment. Dread swapping over but, guess I could have bad mid/tweet diaphrams.

Dang...:)

I reversed left/right wires, thus eliminated my amp as the problem. To me this pointed to the crossover in question.

Unless told different, guess I will swap...

Check to make sure you reconnected the wiring correctly to the midrange driver.  There are two terminals on each side of the driver.  One of the wires should go on one of the pair of terminals on each side of the driver.  You could plug the wires both in to a pair of terminals on one side of the driver.  If that is the case, you would be shorting out the midrange signal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BEC said:

Check to make sure you reconnected the wiring correctly to the midrange driver.  There are two terminals on each side of the driver.  One of the wires should go on one of the pair of terminals on each side of the driver.  You could plug the wires both in to a pair of terminals on one side of the driver.  If that is the case, you would be shorting out the midrange signal.

I have the midhorn out at the moment. From the front, looking down the throat view, on the right side is an A written on the driver by the terminal you mention. Is this the positive side?

You have have hit on it Bob, as both wires, black and yellow were connected on just the one side dual lug terminal. Going to put crossover back in and hook mid correctly. Guess it could effect the tweet too...?

There is also a white dot on the diaphragm that indicates positive.  Having the mid signal shorted would also effect the tweeter, but probably not stop it from working completely.  You could also have a blown diaphragm in the tweeter.  Something that happens all the time.

Bob Crites

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, BEC said:

There is also a white dot on the diaphragm that indicates positive.  Having the mid signal shorted would also effect the tweeter, but probably not stop it from working completely.  You could also have a blown diaphragm in the tweeter.  Something that happens all the time.

Bob Crites

My hearing now says crossover alright and hearing all three which appear in phase. Did not see a dot but it is sounding really decent.

Other speaker mid was wired the same way so, even if I had marked, they would have been wrong.  Maybe someone was in before me doing something. Thanks very much Bob for your intuition. Now to do the other speaker as it went wanky like the other one with incorrect mid wiring. Dang, it is real sweet.This is my first upgrade to them. Now, after a bit, I will be looking at the Ti for tweeters. Just unreal that I have been pleased all along with them, since 2001!

Do yourself a favor folks and take a look or a good feel of your mid wiring..:)

31 minutes ago, Deang said:

I tell everyone to mark the connection points with masking tape or a sharpie - BILLY!

Sounding good Dean...not OCD at the moment...OCB!

Chorus never sounded so good:) Nice kit for the Chorus Dean...Clarity I can now recommend  heartily!

Thanks and, it was about time I got with it...B)

7 hours ago, mustang guy said:

BTW, I don't know why they didn't just use a radial cap in that PCB. 

Think they did but not sure. Have the old caps and saw blue split top with value of the bennic  So I may have done something for my bass interests. Thanks for your input...

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new topic I will say this last as a writeup on the replacement of parts on this 89 Chorus.

The Klipsch Chorus speaker is now what it must have sounded like many years ago before I acquired them, or very close.

They are to me one of the best speakers I have heard in my lifetime. The sound reproduction is remarkable at all levels.

I would never have taken this step if I thought it would have changed the overall sound.

Thanks, Billy!