Amp recommendations???

Orange Peel

I've been thinking of adding an amp to the system. What brands are good and not super expensive? I've looked at:

Harman Kardon PA 2000

http://www.harmankardon.com/product.asp?cat=AMP∏=PA%202000&sType=C

Harman Kardon PA 4000

http://www.harmankardon.com/product.asp?cat=AMP∏=PA%204000&sType=C

I've looked over some Pioneer Elite stuff on ebay as well.

I know brands like Krell, Carver, Parasound, etc are probably the best, do these manufactors carry any less expensive models?

What would be a noticable power difference from the HK AVR 520, more around 100w/channel? Or would I need to add more?

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Just what is your target price range?

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Belles

(Until La Scalas are refinished)

Center: La Scala

(Until Belle is refinished)

Rear Center: Recycle KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

Not too sure really Smile.gif Depends on the product, depends on where I get it, etc. I would like to stay in the $200-300 range, probably have to go with a used product, but that's cool with me, as long it works Wink.gif I've seen the HK stuff on ebay around that price, that's why I wonder if the other manufactors have the same kind of stuff.

I guess I NEED an amp to run a 6.1 or 7.1 setup with my HK AVR 520.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

300 bucks is kinda a tight budget, and I'm going to have to say to not get one of those amps. I think you'll just be disapointed in it. I would wait till later and look at Adcom maybe, look on ebay for mcintosh too, those are the best.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Yeah I figured $300 would be a tight budget, but when I saw the PA 2000 that HK offers, I thought there might be more out there. Maybe I will save up for a better one, or just hope for a killer deal to come along.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

OP-what are the # of channels you want and WPC?

I agree with others here. Save your money to get a really good one. I have two Rotel amps and think they are outstanding! They were pricey,but you pay for their quality and reputation.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KLF 30

Rears: KG 5.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

TV: Toshiba 42H81 42" Theaterwide

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for Speakers): Rotel RMB-1095

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

I would NOT recommend the Carver M1.5t amp with Klipsch. The magnetic field transformer in the 1.5 will likely create a constant buzz through highly sensitive Klipsch speakers.

The later Carver designs do not employ magnetic field transformers. I run Carver TFM 35x amps for my home theater, and a Carver Lightstar for my 2 channel audio. Both are extremely quiet and have low distortion. The design of these amps is the direct predecessor of the current Sunfire designs.

I'm not sure which Carver amp you're refering to on Ebay. If you post the link, I'll check it out for you.

Regards,

Colin

------------------

My System

The amp is the Carver AV705x 5x125w THX amp from 1997. This auction is closed but I'm sure there will be more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1378974872

One option is a receiver (Outlaw, HK,Denon, Rotel,etc.). The other is the Outlaw Surround processor with an amp like this one. I guess the hybrid of an amp with a receiver is the other.

I was looking at tube amps for 2-channel but they seem to sell high in a bidding frenzy, so I'm thinking of starting with a value HT electronics setup and then I'll look for a tube amp to restore with patience.

Here's a review I found on that particular Carver model:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/av705.html

Looks very favorable. They make several references to the design similarities to the Lightstar, which I own. I really enjoy the sound of my Lightstar when paired with my Klipsch - it's smooth and sweet. The fact that the reviewer made mention of the low noise performance is a good sign, particularly in a multichannel design where noise and hum can be your biggest enemies.

Sounds like pairing this unit with the Outlaw processor, which has received very favorable reviews on this board, might make for a nice match.

Hope this helps!

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 09-14-2002 at 06:29 PM

If an amp was added to the HK 520, would he be forced to use it to power the rear or could he use it in the front instead of using the receiver? By that I mean can he use the 5 built in channels anywhere?

Otherwise he would be paying for an amp that would outperform his receiver and costs just as much or more that the receiver to power rear surrounds.

Hope thats clear.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

krusty, i think what you're asking is can the HK designate its amp channels. as w/ the denon 4800 & such where you can get a 2-channel amp & use it on the mains & the denon can then drive the rear/effects speaks.

i've wondered the same about HK myself, like when chattin w/ m00n. think he said no.

that's a good point though. if not that ability, i'd get a pretty low priced monoblock or 2-channel amp just for the rear surround, or get a real nice 6-7 channel amp & just use the HK as the pre/pro (until one gets a seperate real nice pre/pro Wink.gif).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thank you! I knew what I wanted to ask, but couldn't get it out right.

You said it, but I'll repeat it.

Why save up for a better amp to power your rears then you have to power your mains.

My friend had purchased an Onkyo amp some years ago to power his rears, but he only paid about $300 for it. He was using an older Denon receiver at the time. He had Klipsch KG 5.5's in the front, but I forget what he had in the rear (think they were NHT's). Anyway, my point is that it sounded really good with the Onkyo amp. It was 2 channels, 150w each.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout