KG4's on stands!!!

KGK1958

Let me preface my remarks by saying (or typing, in this case) that while I'm a relative newbie to this forum (and a damn good forum it is...), I'm no Klipsch newbie. I've owned several Heritage systems over the years as well as a plethora of other Klipsch products. I even sold Klipsch systems in my brief stint in retail audio (remind me to tell you about the college student at Penn who bought K-Horns for his dorm room...). Recently, we moved into a new house complete with a dedicated HT room. The owner built the room, but was transferred before he could use it. I had planned to move my current system into the room, lock, stock and barrel. But the room proved too narrow to house my RPTV, two equipment racks and my Cornwalls. Since we were unwilling to go to a smaller RPTV, I had to move the Cornwalls to a seperate room to use in my two channel system. I had a pair of KG4's that I had purchased used so we said what-the-hell, let's try 'em. Imagine my surprise! What a great little speaker! Problem was, the C-7 center was way up on top of the display and the KG4's were way down on the floor. Fortunately, I also had a pair of Sanus Ultimate Foundation speaker stands that I had bought for my RB-5's, and we said (again) what-the-hell, let's try the KG4's on the stands. Unbelievable! They sound great! I mean, c'mon, I wasn't expecting miracles, but we were blown away by how good these speakers sound in this setup. I was fully prepared to purchase a pair of the Legend towers or maybe the Reference towers, as I was expecting the KG4-on-stands thing to completely suck. Now I can take that cash and buy DVD's and fine wine and enjoy my theater with my lovely wife!

HT Equipment:

KG4 Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds

KSW300 Subwoofer

McIntosh MC7106 Amp (Mains)

McIntosh MC7104 Amp (Surrounds)

McIntosh MSD4 Processor

McIntosh MVP831 DVD

McIntosh MLD7020 LD

Audio Power Wedge 116

Various Monster, MIT, Transparent, Radio Shack cables.

Hi ya! And congrats! Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung WS-36Z4HF (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I always thought the horn was too low on the KG-4 and the sound was better if you sat on the floor so the tweeter was close to ear level. Stands do much the same thing though you decrease some bass reinforcement from the floor. This may be a good thing as the reflection induced notch will change in frequency.

BTW I suggest the 97's from Tuscany.

I built a pair of stands for my KG-4's. The stands are 12"x12"x12" wood cubes with an oversized platform attached to the top. I reinforced the interior of the box and filled it with play sand. The stands weigh about 90lbs each. I raised the speakers to get the tweeter higher obviously. I filled the stands with sand in an effort to transfer the bass energy of the speakers to the floor.

Reading this post got me to do a little speaker moving. I wanted to hear the KG4's in 2 channel without the benifit of the sub so I moved the Cornwalls out of the way. I won't try to compare the KG's to the CW's but all I can say is WOW. I have them on a cheap pair of 16" stands about 18" from the rear wall with a very slight angle. Played several types of music ranging from Diana Krall to Liquid Soul to Wynton Marsalis classical to some of my favorite blues. If this were the only set of speakers in the house, I would be a happy man. They play the full spectrum of frequency 'cept the lowest of the low. Like my LaScala's, the bass they do project is quite rich. And like my CW's, the mids and highs dont jump out at you and grap you by the nads like the LaScala's. They are the genuine article. I don't see why they aren't a hot commodity like the Cornwalls on e-bay. Still, when all is said and done, nothing in my house beats the LaScala's. But the KG's aren't going anywhere real soon.