Room Size for Atmos

WilmingtonDiver

I appreciate any help or advice.  I have an empty bonus room in a house I just bought.  The room is 15x16.  The TV will need to go in the middle of the 16ft wall.  I am debating the following:

1) RP-280 vs RP-260 surround system (plus adding in ceiling Atmos)

2) Should I use 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 for the in ceiling Atmos speakers.  With 15 feet from back wall to screen, is this too narrow for 4 Atmos speakers to really be needed?

3) Can the Marantz SR-6011 give enough power for the room size and speaker choice?

I really appreciate help and advice!

IMG_1359.JPG

Edited by WilmingtonDiver
error

4 channel is the way to fly if possible but yes if you are on the back wall already then there's really no way to get the angles right.  Your rear speakers would potentially be almost right on top of you, and if so, that's not really within specs.  Look at the side view of the angles below, they recommend 135 degrees for the rear speakers.  If you can do that then great.  

5.1.2 works ok and is what I use for this same size room while sitting on the back wall, but you also need to pay attention to the angles there and shoot for getting it out in front of you a little.  See that bottom one where it says potentially as much as 90 or even 110 degrees back for 5.1.2?  Yeah that's BS, don't do that, doesn't sound good.  Shoot for the middle line of 80 degrees or a little further forward.  

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-2-setups.html

• Thanks 1

I have heard systems with 4 Atmos speakers.  I only use two in a 9.2.2 system.  The effect for the few systems that I have heard is about the same.  A bonus room should be great for your system.   Welcome to the forum and post pic's along the way for better recommendations.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!  It will be a couple of months before I get started, I need to move the family in first!  I am going to tear out the carpet and start from scratch.  It is actually a really long room that we are cutting in half.  So I am going to build a wall and run all the cables into the attack from a built in wall cabinet.  the room is almost 30 feet long and we have to use the other half as a guest room.  But it gives me an excuse to do the built ins and cut the carpet. I am going to replace it with something dark and more "theater". 

• 10 months later...

I am finally starting my theater build.  Nothing has been done to the room.  I will be removing the carpeting a building a wall.  I also plan to build a riser for the rear seats.  The attic door will be removed and changed so something smaller and lower profile, the ceiling will be a matt black and cloud panels will hide the attic door.  The seats are from HT Market but I used the Palliser to get an idea for dimensions.  I included a PDF of the room plan so far...the black box is where the door is located

My main unresolved issues are:

1) Should I run 5.1.2 or 7.1.2...the room isn't very deep and I am not sure if the extra speakers will make a noticeable

difference (I am going with the RP-280 system)

2) Will a good receiver work or should I get an extra amp.  Thinking about the Marantz 7012

3) Since the carpet will be removed and some of the subflooring to install electrical and audio, are there any common sense things I can do to help with noise...perhaps a special padding beneath the theater carpet?

Any advice will be appreciated!  

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 1.08.27 PM.pdf

Edited by WilmingtonDiver

I decided to simply instal a 5.1.2 system, but the receiver will be able to handle 7.1 if I want to add speakers later.  The room isn't very deep and a window is exactly where I would want the side speakers.  I could use a stand, but not sure if that is worth the clutter.  I do plan on installing power blackout blinds and thick heavy curtains to help with sound reflections on the window.

• 6 months later...

So I am almost finished with the room.  It took a while...4 kids and a wife.  But here are some pics.  I went with a 5.1.2 using the RP-280 5.1 system, 2 CDT-3800 ceiling speakers, and a Marantz 7011.  The Marshall is actually a mini fridge.  The sound panels and diffusers are from GIK acoustics.  TV is a 65 LG OLED. The room sounds great.

JeRRhGx9RJaU6HEnTe9cKw.jpg