Adding mids to cancel highs

Harleywood

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Experimenting around tonight now that I have my full range speakers back after my xo rebuild by Bob. I've always tried to bring the mid frequencies down to eliminate the hot horn sound from the epic 2's. That worked to a point but you lost the voices, pianos and horns. Tonight I brought the mid range up and lowered the highs and used one against the other basically canceling out certain frequencies by adding more of another and it worked magically much to my surprise. Is this something common or did I just get lucky under my certain circumstances? 

• Like 1

Lucky, perhaps.  Too bad Santa didn't deliver a calibrated mic for you to use with REW, to get a handle on what's going on, but there is nothing wrong with the empirical approach.  It's quite interesting the effects of changing the tonal balance via eq can bring about, even in areas you may not expect, e.g. correcting speaker response so that it draws less attention to itself can pay dividends in soundstage/imaging.  It's a fine line between "drawing less attention to itself" and sounding recessed or muted.  I notch down a db or two at ~3khz to manipulate this forward/neutral aspect.    

Here's a fun, interactive link that may help inform your exploration of different eq:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Happy holidays everyone!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Harleywood said:

Is this something common or did I just get lucky under my certain circumstances? 

Sound common sense of how audio works, along with good hearing would be my guess of how you got your speakers dialed in.

• Like 2